Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an Apple Remote on M1 Macbook

I have an apple remote (the original one with only the: menu, play/pause and up/down/left/right button) and I want to connect it to my Macbook M1 Pro but have no idea how to do it. On the old macs it used to just connect but now I can't find anything to help in this situation.

Posted on Jul 30, 2022 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 1:56 PM

AdrianD96 wrote:

I have an apple remote (the original one with only the: menu, play/pause and up/down/left/right button) and I want to connect it to my Macbook M1 Pro but have no idea how to do it. On the old macs it used to just connect but now I can't find anything to help in this situation.

Old as in what year was this IR remote last connected...???

IR remote support was removed years ago....

The IR receiver was discontinued on various Mac models between ~2009 and ~2011, and the Mac mini 2014 looks to have been the last model with an IR receiver.

There is a remote for Apple TV ref: Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2022 1:56 PM in response to AdrianD96

AdrianD96 wrote:

Old as in what year was this IR remote last connected...???

IR remote support was removed years ago....

The IR receiver was discontinued on various Mac models between ~2009 and ~2011, and the Mac mini 2014 looks to have been the last model with an IR receiver.

There is a remote for Apple TV ref: Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Using an Apple Remote on M1 Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.