Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reordering songs in a playlist

I tried to follow the previous instructions about going to a spot on the playlists to a drop down menu, but my my menu doesn't contain any of the items that yours showed. It only shows things such as Play Next, Play Later, Uncheck Selection, Open in New Window...is there somewhere else I can locate the choices that you show, so I can move songs up or down?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 8:25 AM

There are two different views of a playlist that allow for manual ordering. Select a playlist in the sidebar then use one of View > As Playlist or View > As Songs. If using the playlist view you can now use View > Sort By > Playlist Order, otherwise click the column heading of the left-most column of numbers, if necessary, to sort on that column. In either case the list will now be arranged in play order and you can select tracks to move them up or down the list. When viewing the list sorted on some other criteria you can right-click the playlist name in the sidebar and use Copy to Play Order to set this as a starting order for your list that you can then refine further if you wish. The initial play order is the order in which content is added to the list.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2022 8:25 AM in response to Markie7740

There are two different views of a playlist that allow for manual ordering. Select a playlist in the sidebar then use one of View > As Playlist or View > As Songs. If using the playlist view you can now use View > Sort By > Playlist Order, otherwise click the column heading of the left-most column of numbers, if necessary, to sort on that column. In either case the list will now be arranged in play order and you can select tracks to move them up or down the list. When viewing the list sorted on some other criteria you can right-click the playlist name in the sidebar and use Copy to Play Order to set this as a starting order for your list that you can then refine further if you wish. The initial play order is the order in which content is added to the list.

tt2

reordering songs in a playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.