Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

download installer for mojave

I am trying to install mojave on an old Mac but cannot find a way to download the installer to create a bootable drive. The app store link always tries to update my own OS, and doesn't let me download it.

Thanks,

Liam

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 8:23 AM

> The app store link always tries to update my own OS

When the download is finished, the installer launches (unless you are booted to a newer macOS -- there should be an alert about it then). But just quit the open installer and grab it from /Applications (delete any old macOS installer from there before trying to download). The downloading Mac must be compatible with Mojave. Very rarely Apple's servers might act up so try again, if necessary.

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2022 8:23 AM in response to liamfromyarmouth

> The app store link always tries to update my own OS

When the download is finished, the installer launches (unless you are booted to a newer macOS -- there should be an alert about it then). But just quit the open installer and grab it from /Applications (delete any old macOS installer from there before trying to download). The downloading Mac must be compatible with Mojave. Very rarely Apple's servers might act up so try again, if necessary.

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Aug 1, 2022 11:23 AM in response to liamfromyarmouth

liamfromyarmouth wrote:

Mac mini 2018

That could be the problem. When the 2018 Intel Mac mini was released it came with macOS 10.14 Mojave. However, depending on when you purchased it it could have shipped with macOS 10.15 or later. Today they ship with macOS 12 Monterey.

You cannot download a version of macOS to a Mac that is older than what it shipped with.

download installer for mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.