Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ram Swap on m1 air

about my MacBook Air base model running on Monterey 12.5 , is the ram swap dangerous or nothing to worry about ?

but the performance of my MacBook it stable and good for the 8gb of ram , running photoshop, illustrator and indesign , but only I worry about numbers when I see the activity monitor and the swap memory cause I don't understand how it really works or this is ok or bad thing ..

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 9:57 AM

Swap is not something dangerous. Swap happens when the RAM is used up, and the Mac needs to store something in RAM but has nowhere to put it, it will use hard drive space in that case to store it momentarily.

Its perfectly normal to have some amount of swap.

Your RAM pressure, which is the color of the graph is more important. It should be Green mostly, or Yellow If a lot or RAM usage is happening. In your case, its yellow, but its expected with RAM pressuring Apps like Photoshop, illustrator and InDesign.

If it goes to Red and stays there for long periods of time, then its a sign your computer does not have enough RAM for your tasks.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2022 9:57 AM in response to Nab_07

Swap is not something dangerous. Swap happens when the RAM is used up, and the Mac needs to store something in RAM but has nowhere to put it, it will use hard drive space in that case to store it momentarily.

Its perfectly normal to have some amount of swap.

Your RAM pressure, which is the color of the graph is more important. It should be Green mostly, or Yellow If a lot or RAM usage is happening. In your case, its yellow, but its expected with RAM pressuring Apps like Photoshop, illustrator and InDesign.

If it goes to Red and stays there for long periods of time, then its a sign your computer does not have enough RAM for your tasks.

Ram Swap on m1 air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.