Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music app shows empty (no music in library) after every restart

I'm hoping for (but, to be honest, not really expecting) a quick/easy resolution to this issue, but considering I'm asking much the same question that went unanswered here, my hopes are minimal.

I use the Apple Music app only as a player for my local music library. I am not subscribed to the Apple Music service. All of my actual music files are located on my local drive. I don't let the Music app "manage" them, because I have my own preferred system of file organization, cover image management, etc. These files are necessarily located elsewhere other than the default location where the Music app wants them to be (or wants to copy them into), because they are regularly synced/backed-up to a non-Apple-based cloud service.

Why use the Apple Music app at all, then, you might ask? And that's a good question (getting better all the time, actually). I just like the interface (even though I still miss "cover flow").

But my appreciation for the interface is not enough to forgive the issue I've been experiencing, which is that every time I restart my computer and then open Apple Music, there's nothing in it. My song files and folder structure have not moved from their previous location on my local drive, they are just absent from the app, which presents an empty library. After every single reboot. Re-dragging/re-scanning all of it into Apple Music every time I restart is unfeasible/undesirable (especially considering the massive size of my local music library, we're talking close to 2TB here).

So what then can I do to get the app to not empty itself out anymore?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 10:10 AM

See Empty/corrupt iTunes/Music library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community.

Use the option-start-Music method to explicitly select the ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary database (or your active database if you've moved it) in case Music has somehow got connected to a cached copy of the library that it cannot update properly.

It may also help to press and hold both option+cmd one time when launching Music to run a consistency check on the library.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2022 10:10 AM in response to Sparky Quagmire

See Empty/corrupt iTunes/Music library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community.

Use the option-start-Music method to explicitly select the ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary database (or your active database if you've moved it) in case Music has somehow got connected to a cached copy of the library that it cannot update properly.

It may also help to press and hold both option+cmd one time when launching Music to run a consistency check on the library.

tt2

Apple Music app shows empty (no music in library) after every restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.