Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s won't allow me to update past iOS 12.5.5

I need to update iOS, but my phone 6 is telling me that there is no update available, and that I’m up to date. I have 12.5.5

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 7:59 PM

2 replies

Jul 31, 2022 8:34 PM in response to WalterFoxcroft22

WalterFoxcroft22 Said:

"I need to update iOS, but my phone 6 is telling me that there is no update available, and that I’m up to date. I have 12.5.5: I need to update iOS for my new Apple Watch 7, but my phone 6 is telling me that there is no update available, and that I’m up to date. I have 12.5.5 though, and it won’t let me pair it."

-------

For futer reference...

Updating your iPhone:

Try updating your iPhone first, doing so, through a use of Cellular, or a computer . If you cannot update it, then it is likely out of date. As for getting the options back(if they existed), you'd have to perform a few things, perhaps leading to a reset. So, try the following, reporting if the update works...

Updating Over Cellular:

You can only update over Cellular using an iPhone 12 or later with 5G. So, updating over Cellular may not be an option.

See Here: Use an iPhone 12 or later, that is using 5G, in order to update over Cellular - User Tip

Determining if an Update will Install:

How to do so...

A. Verify Compatibility:

Identify your iPhone model. The first thing that comes to mind in incompatibility being the culprit. So, confirm the model of your iPhone. If iPhone model is incompatible with iOS15 then it is because you iPhone does not meet the hardware requirements for this iOS version(s).

B. If Compatible...

1. Back Up First:

IMPORTANT: If you have an option to update, however, then be certain you backup your iPhone first. That way, you will have something to restore your iPhone from should anything go wrong with the update

then...

2. Proceed with the Update:

Use my User Tip:  Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

iPhone 6s won't allow me to update past iOS 12.5.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.