Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library.photoslibrary

Hi - I recently clicked on the file Photos Library.photoslibrary in my iMac (2019, Monterey 12.4) and immediately all of my photos from Feb 7 going forward disappeared. They are still showing on my phone, laptop and iPad, but I cannot get them back on my iMac. Unfortunately the rep I spoke with at Apple was not as helpful as I had hoped. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened and why I can't get the photos back? Also, that file has a cloud icon with a line through it. I have checked the settings and photos are set to sync - but that is not happening.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 6:48 PM

Hi

It sounds like your photos are in a different library than photos library.photoslibrary - by opening that one, it is set as the default library to open - rather than the one your images are kept in.

Try holding down the option key while starting the photos app. In the resulting pane, is more than one library listed? If so open each in turn until you find your photos.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2022 6:48 PM in response to bensrose

Hi

It sounds like your photos are in a different library than photos library.photoslibrary - by opening that one, it is set as the default library to open - rather than the one your images are kept in.

Try holding down the option key while starting the photos app. In the resulting pane, is more than one library listed? If so open each in turn until you find your photos.

Photos Library.photoslibrary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.