Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Air M2 won't connect to external display

I have two old 20-inch Cinema Displays that I've used for years with my previous generation Macbook Air. I just picked up my new 2022 Air, which required me to buy this adapter - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

I connect it to the new Macbook Air...nothing. I unplug everything, power down and try again. Nothing. I find an article that says I need to hit the scale button in the Displays dashboard of system preferences and hold down the option key to "Detect Displays," but nothing that allows me to detect displays pops up.

Any tips...short of returning the new computer and getting the newest version of the previous Air, which I at least know will work with the setup I prefer?

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 10:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 6:05 AM

Not a surprise- the link clearly states “Note: This adapter does not support DisplayPort displays like the Apple LED Cinema Display or third-party DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort displays.”

The Cinema display is over a decade old…best to match old with old, or better, give up on it and buy new. Good luck!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2022 6:05 AM in response to heyjb

Not a surprise- the link clearly states “Note: This adapter does not support DisplayPort displays like the Apple LED Cinema Display or third-party DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort displays.”

The Cinema display is over a decade old…best to match old with old, or better, give up on it and buy new. Good luck!

Aug 19, 2022 6:11 AM in response to hcsitas

I am also having this problem, but this answer, while very clear, doesn't make sense to me.

I have been using that adapter for two years to connect my old 27" Apple Thunderbolt display to my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) and it has worked well. That is my work computer.

I just replaced my ancient personal computer with a MacBook Air M2, and the adapter doesn't work. Like OP said, it just doesn't register as a display - no screen refresh on the Air, and the display doesn't turn on.

Both computers are running Monterey, both have the same ports ... Is there any reason that it works with the 2-year old USB-C port but not the July 22 USB-C port? If that adapter won't do it, is there one that will?

I would love to pair new with new, but I'd also love not to drop another $500 on a modern non-Apple display that is as nice as this old one or a grand on Apple's new display, as lovely as it is.

Aug 2, 2022 9:41 AM in response to hcsitas

Thanks. You're right. I just assumed the adapter would work because the guy at the Apple Store who sold me two of them (one of upstairs and one for downstairs) said it would, and because it fits.

Oh well. Now it seems I have to decide between buying new everything, or returning the new laptop and getting a replacement of what I already had before it broke.

Thanks again. Sad that you know more than the folks at the Apple Store.

New Macbook Air M2 won't connect to external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.