Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

space bar stops working, needing restart?

My space bar stops working, needing restart? MacBook Air M1 2020 Monterey 12.5

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 7:04 AM

8 replies

Aug 3, 2022 1:32 AM in response to mjs681

mjs681 wrote:

The accessibility keyboard is not enabled. In answer to Luis, I don’t know what the keyboard viewer is. This does not seem to be a hardware (mechanical) issue, because after restart it will work fine for months before doing it again.

The Keyboard Viewer lets you view the layout of keys, and also use your mouse if need be.

You can access it from the menu bar:

1) In System Preferences->Keyboard->Input Sources, turn on "Show Input menu in menu bar".

2) Choose "Show Keyboard Viewer":

Clicking the space in the Keyboard Viewer should in principle be equivalent to pressing the actual space key on your keyboard.

Aug 2, 2022 8:14 AM in response to PRP_53

I want the space bar to create a space between words. It is the keyboard on my MacBook Air M1, as noted in the question. I have had Apple computers since 1984. I have never had a space bar intermittently fail to function. Is this a known issue? Fortunately it has not occurred during a meeting or presentation.

space bar stops working, needing restart?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.