Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iPad plugged in

So you know how MacBooks have this thing where it can draw power from the power adapter and not the battery when it is being used whilst plugged in? I recently got an iPad Air 5 and was wondering if that could also work with my iPad as I wanted to use it alongside my MacBook Air M1 on my desk. So is it safe to leave it plugged in while it is in use (mainly talking about battery health here). Will it draw power from the battery or from the power adapter? Just asking since I wanted to increase the lifespan of my iPad. Thank you for your help!!

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 1:10 PM

You'll be fine to leave it plugged in while you're using it. The MacBook and iPad will use power from the adapter until the battery naturally drains to a point that will require charge to bring it back to 100%.

I wouldn't leave the iPad plugged in for the life of the device if you plan to have it stationary. Unplugging and letting the battery do its thing from time to time is good for the device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2022 1:10 PM in response to aasta13

You'll be fine to leave it plugged in while you're using it. The MacBook and iPad will use power from the adapter until the battery naturally drains to a point that will require charge to bring it back to 100%.

I wouldn't leave the iPad plugged in for the life of the device if you plan to have it stationary. Unplugging and letting the battery do its thing from time to time is good for the device.

Aug 2, 2022 2:34 PM in response to aasta13

Having an iPad continuously powered for extended periods is not an issue - as this is common practice in POS (Point of Sale) and Kiosk applications.

iPad will optimally manage battery charging - and may automatically change its charging strategy by reducing the maximum battery charge level to about 80% of maximum capacity. This strategy is intended to extend the life of the battery by reducing chemical ageing that occurs when the battery is continuously maintained 100% charge. When a “normal” charge/discharge pattern is resumed, charge to full capacity is restored.

More information about iPad’s battery management can be found here:

About iPad and iPhone Charge Management Feature – Apple Support

Using iPad plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.