Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine asks to erase files on new LaCie backup external

I have two iMac desktops and was using online backup for both of them. I decided that it was just as good to use Time Machine so I purchased a second LaCie external for the newer desktop. The older is already connected to a Simple Disk.

When I selected to use the LaCie in Time Machine it asked if I wanted to erase the files on it. The LaCie is new and I just received it yesterday. I have not added anything to it. But I am afraid to erase whatever files on it in order to begin the backup procedure.

Can someone explain what I am supposed to do?

macOS Monterey

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5 inch display

Processor 3 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Core 15

Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics Radeon Pro 555 2 GB

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 12:28 PM

When I selected to use the LaCie in Time Machine it asked if I wanted to erase the files on it.

This is normal when your Mac "sees" a new drive that is connected that it has not "seen" before.

The LaCie is new and I just received it yesterday.

Then, there is no data on the drive.

But I am afraid to erase whatever files on it in order to begin the backup procedure.

There are no files on the drive, but your Mac needs to "format" the drive if you want to use it for Time Machine backups, because he current format on the drive will not allow Time Machine to back up to the drive. "Format" is another term for "Erase".

So, the answer to the question of whether you want your Mac to erase or "format" the new drive for use with Time Machine would be "Yes".

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2022 12:28 PM in response to ethalfrida

When I selected to use the LaCie in Time Machine it asked if I wanted to erase the files on it.

This is normal when your Mac "sees" a new drive that is connected that it has not "seen" before.

But I am afraid to erase whatever files on it in order to begin the backup procedure.

There are no files on the drive, but your Mac needs to "format" the drive if you want to use it for Time Machine backups, because he current format on the drive will not allow Time Machine to back up to the drive. "Format" is another term for "Erase".

So, the answer to the question of whether you want your Mac to erase or "format" the new drive for use with Time Machine would be "Yes".

Aug 2, 2022 4:52 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Everything with the LaCie/Time Machine setup went very well and worked perfectly. Now, the second computer, which is connected to the Simple external, says it cannot back up because there is no available disk. Here is a screen shot of the messages. And I cannot select the hard drive from the options even though the external is showing in Finder and is running.

Aug 2, 2022 5:48 PM in response to ethalfrida

Sorry, this is really confusing, and it should normally be very simple.

Everything with the LaCie/Time Machine setup went very well and worked perfectly.

Got that, but is the Lacie drive named "Macintosh HD"? Macintosh HD is also the name of the hard drive on a Mac by default, unless this has been changed by the owner. And, you may have other Macs that have hard drives named the same Macintosh HD. It gets really confusing trying to keep track of which "Macintosh HD" is which.

I have a MacBook Pro laptop, so the name of the Time Machine backup drive is MBP Time Machine. My wife has an iMac, so the name of the Time Machine backup drive for the iMac is iMac Time Machine. It's easy to know which is which.

And, the second Mac computer is connected to "Simple Disk"?

Was the second Mac connected to "Simple Disk" in the past and it was backing up OK in the past and now you have having problems? Or, are you trying to back up the second Mac to Simple Disk for the first time?

And, looking at the screenshot of Excluded Items, I'm confused as well. Which screenshot does this apply to.....the Mac backing up to Macintosh HD or the second Mac that is backing up to Simple Disk?

It can't be the first Mac because you have Excluded Macintosh HD, which is the name of the hard drive on the Mac.......or.......is this the name of the backup drive?

And it can't be the second Mac that backs up to Simple Disk because you have Excluded Simple Disk from the backup. You can't Exclude the disk if it is the disk that is being used to store the backups of the Mac backing up.

Aug 2, 2022 12:39 PM in response to ethalfrida

There are no files on the drive, but your Mac needs to "format" the drive if you want to use it for Time Machine backups, because the current format on the drive will not allow Time Machine to back up to the drive. "Format" is another term for "Erase".

Time Machine asks to erase files on new LaCie backup external

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.