Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it okay to have the "Music Library.musiclibrary" file on an external drive?

~ I had my "Music Library.musiclibrary" located at Home/Music/

-My music files are all stored on an external drive

---The Music app stopped being able to locate my music files (see screen shots).

After hours of trial and error, calling Apple support (that took two hours with no resolution), I moved the "Music Library.musiclibrary" to the external drive, restarted Music (the app) holding the Option key and selected the "Music Library.musiclibrary" on my external drive. Now, the Music app has been able to find my music files.

My questions:

1) Is it okay to have my "Music Library.musiclibrary" file residing on this external drive?

2) What is the ideal file structure for Music to function properly?

(see screen shot for my current file structure)

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 7:55 AM

1. Yes
  2. Ideally there would be a Music folder containing the Music Library.musiclibrary database package and a Media folder, which then in turn holds all media connected to the library. Typically this folder will contain Automatically Add to Music and Music, with the latter holding artist folders. There might also be an Apple Music folder inside the Media folder.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2022 7:55 AM in response to Bambooken

1. Yes
  2. Ideally there would be a Music folder containing the Music Library.musiclibrary database package and a Media folder, which then in turn holds all media connected to the library. Typically this folder will contain Automatically Add to Music and Music, with the latter holding artist folders. There might also be an Apple Music folder inside the Media folder.

tt2

Is it okay to have the "Music Library.musiclibrary" file on an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.