You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens if the person receiving does not accept the payment?

What happens if someone doesn't accept your apple pay because they don't want it. How long does it stay pending before you get the money back?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 6:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 12:21 AM

That was very helpful thank you, one more question. What if you don’t or forget to cancel the payment, is there a period where it cancels automatically say after 7 days in pending status (as an example)? And if you cancel it, is the recipient made aware of the payment being cancelled somehow?

Long story short is I paid a friend for something with Apple Pay but he doesn’t know how to use it and refuses to accept it. I ended up paying cash to him and now I want this Apple pay to disappear without him seeing that I cancelled it.

I’d rather let it expire but wanted to see how many days that takes or if I actually have to do it myself.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 5, 2022 12:21 AM in response to muguy

That was very helpful thank you, one more question. What if you don’t or forget to cancel the payment, is there a period where it cancels automatically say after 7 days in pending status (as an example)? And if you cancel it, is the recipient made aware of the payment being cancelled somehow?

Long story short is I paid a friend for something with Apple Pay but he doesn’t know how to use it and refuses to accept it. I ended up paying cash to him and now I want this Apple pay to disappear without him seeing that I cancelled it.

I’d rather let it expire but wanted to see how many days that takes or if I actually have to do it myself.

Aug 4, 2022 5:18 AM in response to kingston36

You can cancel so long as they haven't accepted the funds:

1. Open the Messages app, then open the conversation and tap the payment. 
  2. Your Apple Cash card will open in the Wallet app. Under Latest Transactions, tap the payment, then tap it again. 
  3. Tap Cancel Payment.

If you don't see Cancel Payment, the person has already accepted the payment. Try asking the recipient to send the money back to you instead.

What happens if the person receiving does not accept the payment?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.