Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12. 5 update ate my Mail Rules

I had dozens of rules in Mail that were just gone when I was reviewing my Mail preferences a few minutes ago. I am positive I did not delete them. I cannot be sure when they vanished, but I am pretty sure I have added one or two since the update to 12.4 and I just updated to 12.5 a few days ago, so 12.5 update is the obvious culprit.

What the bleepity bleep happened, and how do I get my rules back?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 12:19 PM

Ran through a few more things with an Apple advisor, and realized that I had not adjusted rules since updating to a new mac less than a year ago....and that I was remembering updating rules more recently than that because I'd been working with rules on Outlook Mail since I'm now using a PC exclusively at work (as opposed to bringing my own Mac back and forth).

Gaack.

My bad.

Fixed now.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2022 12:19 PM in response to VikingOSX

Ran through a few more things with an Apple advisor, and realized that I had not adjusted rules since updating to a new mac less than a year ago....and that I was remembering updating rules more recently than that because I'd been working with rules on Outlook Mail since I'm now using a PC exclusively at work (as opposed to bringing my own Mac back and forth).

Gaack.

My bad.

Fixed now.

Aug 4, 2022 9:50 AM in response to Donot Haveone

Donot Haveone wrote:

I had dozens of rules in Mail that were just gone when I was reviewing my Mail preferences a few minutes ago. I am positive I did not delete them. I cannot be sure when they vanished, but I am pretty sure I have added one or two since the update to 12.4 and I just updated to 12.5 a few days ago, so 12.5 update is the obvious culprit.

What the bleepity bleep happened, and how do I get my rules back?

Well, it is hard to guess what happened—if they are gone then rebuild the rules and test.

Try turning off Mail in iCloud— edit rules and see if they saved properly; re-enable iCloud Mail.

Rules:

Change Add Rule settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Change Rule settings in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Filter emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Filter emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac ...

Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 4, 2022 10:23 AM in response to Donot Haveone

Donot Haveone wrote:

I appreciate the thoughtful reply, but "rebuild" is quite literally impossible because I do not have any list of the rules that were often very carefully crafted through multiple iterations. Not feeling eager to put in the time to rebuild if I don't know whether Mail is going to eat them again every update.

Suit yourself...

I certainly have not seen this as issue before.

Have you shut down mail and rebooted more than once since your point update from 12.4 to 12.5 ..(?)

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here:  http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Aug 4, 2022 10:42 AM in response to leroydouglas

I have rebooted and just to be sure, I rebooted again, no mail rules appeared.

I like to check here first before filing a bug report in case it is something obvious that other people have noticed and there is a clear solution, or In case the clever and up-to-date folks on this forum can point me to updated information from Apple about why something has changed.

Aug 4, 2022 1:43 PM in response to Donot Haveone

Donot Haveone wrote:

the sudden appearance of the “news from Apple” rule that I certainly did not make.

I had not adjusted rules since updating to a new mac...

Fixed now.

I do seem to remember Apple adding a "news from Apple” rule when the News.app was introduced, not so shocking since they are trying to push this service (ie revenue generator.)

Since I have never done/subscribed to the Apple News—I simply deleted it.

Once deleted it never returned and my rules preferences have remained.

Monterey 12. 5 update ate my Mail Rules

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.