Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it easy to transfer your data from an old iMac to a new one?

I'm purchasing a new iMac and I wondered if I can do the transfer myself or do I need to take the old one into the store and have them do it?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 1:26 PM

Yes it's easy. See below

Move your content to a new Mac – Apple Support (UK)

3 replies

Aug 4, 2022 4:08 PM in response to Nancritzel

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

Some have had success and others have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Aug 5, 2022 8:04 AM in response to Nancritzel

Yes you can do the transfer yourself. It is easy to do. Use Migration Assistant the program provided by Apple for transferring your files from your old computer to your new computer. Be sure to read and follow its instructions. Basically, the process is as follows.

You first begin by starting the process of setting up your new computer. You will be asked if you wish to transfer files. Respond YES and follow the instructions you will be given.

You will be told to turn both computers on and activate Migration Assistant in the old computer.

The computers should be connected with a USB cable to facilitate the transfer.  Wi-Fi is simply not suited for a transfer of so much data and corruption often results.  Do not use it. It can corrupt or lose data.

You will be given several options as to what to transfer. You will likely want to transfer your settings and preferences.

You can transfer all or none of your apps or files. You do not have an option to select certain files to transfer. If you wish to do that, then do so manually. Some people choose to download and install new apps to the new computer.

The old computer's operating system will not be transferred. No data from the old computer is erased.

Allow for up to an hour for the transfer process to complete once you start it.

It should set up the new computer the same as the old one. Apple can do it for you, but they may not do the transfer the same way as you would.

Enjoy your new Mac.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Is it easy to transfer your data from an old iMac to a new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.