Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting a contact drives excessive >5GB disk write in Contacts app

For years, the Contacts app on my MBPs has driven serious CPU & disk writes whenever I delete a single contact.

Doing so results in a spinning wheel for 3-5 seconds. I have a 2020 13" with 32GB memory & 1TB SSD.

This is untenable!

I followed the instructions to delete *abcddb* files from my Contacts folder in my Library folder. That had no noticeable improvement.

I have an iCloud account & several google accounts. No FB or LI webdav accounts are connected.

I would like to clean up my contacts from duplicates and old entries, but the wait time is prohibitive!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 3:57 PM

1 - There could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

2 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

3 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having a semi - actual On-Hand experience on this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2022 3:57 PM in response to calgarytrynt

1 - There could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

2 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

3 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having a semi - actual On-Hand experience on this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Aug 4, 2022 1:44 PM in response to calgarytrynt

Have you tried this: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Deleting a contact drives excessive >5GB disk write in Contacts app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.