Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to share files between 2 computers?

I have my new Mini and I have transferred my account but there are still files on my old computer I want to transfer. The 2 computers and on the same network.

I thought I could put them in the 'shared' folder but the new Mac's 'shared' folder isn't showing them.

What am I doing wrong? The old Mac is running High Sierra and the new one is Monterey.

Thanx...Ken

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 8:05 PM

Thanx for getting back to me. You say, "use the Sharing System Preferences to share out the folders," I don't know what that means. Please explain.

Sorry, I can't post any screenshots to make it easier, but I can describe it.

Open Sharing System Preferences (Apple Menu)

Enable File Sharing

There will be a pane at the bottom where you can add folders. Click the + button to add your "share"

On the "Users" section, add the user you will log into that Mac as.

The permissions will show what is set for that folder. Add your user to the "users" and give that user read or read/write. Unless you need to move both directions, read only is fine.

Once you do that, your old Mac should show up in the Finder Sidebar under "Locations." Click on it and log in using the necessary credentials for the user you set up in Sharing.

When you turn on File Sharing, your user Public folder is automatically shared. You could just connect to that and put all the files in there.

You could try to share out your Desktop, Documents, Downloads, but people have posted with problems trying to share those out.

Are you looking for a solution you will use once to get things set up or long-term exchanging of files?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2022 8:05 PM in response to kennethfromfortbragg

Thanx for getting back to me. You say, "use the Sharing System Preferences to share out the folders," I don't know what that means. Please explain.

Sorry, I can't post any screenshots to make it easier, but I can describe it.

Open Sharing System Preferences (Apple Menu)

Enable File Sharing

There will be a pane at the bottom where you can add folders. Click the + button to add your "share"

On the "Users" section, add the user you will log into that Mac as.

The permissions will show what is set for that folder. Add your user to the "users" and give that user read or read/write. Unless you need to move both directions, read only is fine.

Once you do that, your old Mac should show up in the Finder Sidebar under "Locations." Click on it and log in using the necessary credentials for the user you set up in Sharing.

When you turn on File Sharing, your user Public folder is automatically shared. You could just connect to that and put all the files in there.

You could try to share out your Desktop, Documents, Downloads, but people have posted with problems trying to share those out.

Are you looking for a solution you will use once to get things set up or long-term exchanging of files?

Aug 4, 2022 5:03 PM in response to kennethfromfortbragg

If you put them in the Shared folder on the old Mac, that does not sync to the new Mac.

On the old Mac, use the Sharing System Preferences to share out the folders where those files exist. I would personally move them all into Shared and share out that folder.

From the new Mac, find the old Mac on the Network in the Sidebar of the new Mac. If you log in with the same credentials on both Macs, it should connect when you click on the old Mac. If they are different, then you'll have to wait until it times out, then click on Connect As… Enter the credentials you use on the old Mac.

You should then be able to mount the Shared folder and copy the files to the new Mac.

Aug 4, 2022 7:46 PM in response to Barney-15E

My photos exist on the iCloud for my iMac but on my iCloud for the Mini. Should, can, they be merged?

You say the old mac should be visible in the sidebar of the new mac but I can't find that. Do you mean the sidebar on windows when I'm in Finder? (sorry for being obtuse)

thanx

Aug 5, 2022 9:58 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have determined that the iCloud folder is shared between my two computers. I am able to share files back and forth between them. It's just that the Photos folder which is on the old iMac doesn't appear on my new Mini. Everything else does. I suspect this might be because Photos on the old Mac isn't updated? But of course I have to move it to update it. Catch 22. What do you think? Thank you for your input.

How to share files between 2 computers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.