Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommended SSD Size on new 24" iMac

What size of SSD should I buy with my 24" iMac if using Optimized Storage to iCloud?

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 1:13 AM

I agree with the other comments about buying the biggest you can afford.

However by using optimised iCloud storage there is less need for huge internal storage capacity.

As an example, when I upgraded last year to the M1 24” from a Mac Pro desktop with almost unlimited upgradability I decided on 512GB. I reviewed my apps and only installed those which I actually needed and any files which were for long term storage were put onto external usb drives. Optimised iCloud storage was enabled.

After nearly a year in use my M1 iMac is using less than 60GB out of 512GB and as I’m using iCloud my photos etc are also accessible on my iPhone & iPad.

The fallback solution to needing a bigger internal disk in the future is to boot from an external USB SSD of whatever size suits.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 1:13 AM in response to CJFPG

I agree with the other comments about buying the biggest you can afford.

However by using optimised iCloud storage there is less need for huge internal storage capacity.

As an example, when I upgraded last year to the M1 24” from a Mac Pro desktop with almost unlimited upgradability I decided on 512GB. I reviewed my apps and only installed those which I actually needed and any files which were for long term storage were put onto external usb drives. Optimised iCloud storage was enabled.

After nearly a year in use my M1 iMac is using less than 60GB out of 512GB and as I’m using iCloud my photos etc are also accessible on my iPhone & iPad.

The fallback solution to needing a bigger internal disk in the future is to boot from an external USB SSD of whatever size suits.

Recommended SSD Size on new 24" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.