Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I select what want photos / apps to transfer from my old ipad to my new ipad?

Can I select what want to transfer from my old ipad to my new ipad?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 6:34 AM

Natively available transfer methods are all-or-nothing.

If you need to selectively move files, you must individually move/copy files using AirDrop, iCloud or iTunes (using a PC or Mac computer). Alternatively, transfer/restore everything, then selectively delete any data or Apps that you do not require.

These support pages should get you started with setup of a new iPad - and the methods of transferring your data from old to new iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is rather a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned to the new device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either an iCloud or iTunes backup to the new device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

When you are ready, the best procedure for preparing you old device for disposal or reuse can be found here:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 6:34 AM in response to DeanBoat

Natively available transfer methods are all-or-nothing.

If you need to selectively move files, you must individually move/copy files using AirDrop, iCloud or iTunes (using a PC or Mac computer). Alternatively, transfer/restore everything, then selectively delete any data or Apps that you do not require.

These support pages should get you started with setup of a new iPad - and the methods of transferring your data from old to new iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is rather a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned to the new device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either an iCloud or iTunes backup to the new device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

When you are ready, the best procedure for preparing you old device for disposal or reuse can be found here:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Can I select what want photos / apps to transfer from my old ipad to my new ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.