Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to download software instruments

1. I picked up a new M1 MacBook Pro (Monterey 12.5) last week, opened up GarageBand (10.4.5).
  2. Opened the software instrument panel on the left, clicked to download several instruments. They started downloading.
  3. I was prompted by The Apple Music Content Installer to enter my username and password. I entered those.
  4. Got a pop-up: "GarageBand was not able to install the new sounds. Close and re-open GarageBand to download and install them again."
  5. When I quit, I get another prompt: "Are you sure you want to cancel the download?"
    1. If I hit Continue, I get the list of software instruments, some failed, some downloading, some idle.
      1. If I quit again I go back to #4 above
    2. If I hit cancel, the application quits.

Now whenever I open GarageBand, I'm in that loop. I can open an existing project or create a new one but I can't download new software instruments. The panel of downloading instruments is still there in the background but the downloads never finish; as soon as the meter on the first one completes, I get the prompt at #3 above and the cycle continues.

I know I'm entering the right password. Is this a known issue? Should I re-install Garageband?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 5:17 AM

You can try it in safe mode, that sometimes fixes weird things like this:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Unable to download software instruments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.