Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

it is showing that spotlight is using significant energy in menu bar

so ever since I upgraded to macOS Monterey 12.5, spotlight has been using significant energy for almost 2 days, I thought it was indexing but spotlight does not take so much time to index, so why is it just stuck there, I updated to macOS Monterey 12.5 day before yesterday.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 9:35 PM

Hey random67!

Spotlight can take longer to index, depending on the size of your hard drive and amount of data on it.

You can tell if it is indexing by pulling up Spotlight search:

You can press Command and the space bar.

Instead of entering something in the search, just type the word without hitting Return, just to see the results.

You will see if it’s indexing or not, as if it is, you’ll see a blue loading bar that says “Indexing”.

Do you see this loading bar? Thanks.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2022 9:35 PM in response to random67

Hey random67!

Spotlight can take longer to index, depending on the size of your hard drive and amount of data on it.

You can tell if it is indexing by pulling up Spotlight search:

You can press Command and the space bar.

Instead of entering something in the search, just type the word without hitting Return, just to see the results.

You will see if it’s indexing or not, as if it is, you’ll see a blue loading bar that says “Indexing”.

Do you see this loading bar? Thanks.

Aug 4, 2022 10:02 PM in response to random67

Hey again!

I see, so in that case, I’d first follow Apple’s instructions for rebuilding the Spotlight Index/

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

You’d want to move the whole volume, usually Macintosh HD into the Spotlight Preferences, then remove it, and give it up to a day to complete. You can again see the progress by the search test.

Hope that helps! And likewise, Id disconnect any external drives during the process.

it is showing that spotlight is using significant energy in menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.