Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing "APPLE SSD APO256Q Media" (disk0) and creating Couldn't open device : (-69877)

I tried to erase and reinstall OS in recovery and mistakenly deleted Macintosh HD. Now what I have in internal is APPLE SSD APO256Q media in disk utility and I can't see any disk to install macOS Monterey into while trying to reinstall OS.

Also I can't erase/format/(rename(to Macintosh HD) the APPLE SSD using recovery via disk utility. Barely started using this MacBook pro so losing data isn't a thing for me. Any help will do pleaseee

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 5:36 AM

At this point I suggest you do this: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Use the bootable drive to install the OS of choice precisely following the instructions. Read the entire article first as you have to use those steps that apply to your cpu.

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 5, 2022 7:33 PM in response to Eni-

Is this an Intel Mac or an M1 Mac? This is very important because you don't want to erase the whole physical SSD on an M1 Mac since there are some hidden partitions that are necessary for an M1 Mac to operate in order to boot to the special startup modes. For an M1 Mac, you just want to erase the hidden Container (also works for an Intel Mac although I do prefer to erase physical drive).

If you have an 2018+ Intel Mac or an M1/M2 Mac, then you can "Restore" the firmware using the instructions in these respective Apple articles (will require access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+):

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Erasing "APPLE SSD APO256Q Media" (disk0) and creating Couldn't open device : (-69877)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.