Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invalid Email when updating existing email password

I found the answer to this question [1] but am not able to reply there, hence the new post. Hopefully people will get here eventually.

The issue is that changing a setting (eg. password or server address) in the Email Account setting in iOS causes this error to appear:

**"Invalid Email addres"**
Please enter a valid email address for this account.

Even if the email address wasn’t touched.

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 5:44 AM

I came across the answer on Stack Overflow [2].

In short, if any of the email aliases are not also valid usernames for the password, this error appears. So the highly unintuitive workaround for this bug, is to delete all the aliases, and only add one called username@hostname.com, even if that’s an invalid address. Once saved, you can go and restore proper addresses.

Pretty stunningly bad assumption and error reporting, such is the status quo for software these days…

[2] https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/441437/202413

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2022 5:44 AM in response to Liteyear

I came across the answer on Stack Overflow [2].

In short, if any of the email aliases are not also valid usernames for the password, this error appears. So the highly unintuitive workaround for this bug, is to delete all the aliases, and only add one called username@hostname.com, even if that’s an invalid address. Once saved, you can go and restore proper addresses.

Pretty stunningly bad assumption and error reporting, such is the status quo for software these days…

[2] https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/441437/202413

Invalid Email when updating existing email password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.