Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect Apple TV to new network (password error without any password request)

I am trying to connect my Apple TV 3rd Gen. to the new fibre Wi-Fi network (used to work perfectly). As soon as I select the SSID from the network menu, it goes straight to an error message “There was a problem connecting to the network. The wi-fi password you entered is not correct. Try again. (-100)”. However, I was given no opportunity to enter a password at all. This happens with both the 2.4 and 5GHz channels. I also see no “Forget this network” option. I tried entering manually the SSID in “Other…” but it happens the same thing. I have Reset All Settings and Restored (via Ethernet) already several times: nothing changes. Can someone please help?

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 5, 2022 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 3:25 PM

1. Try the Other… option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. Especially if the password has been changed.
  2. Verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later support that. Instead use WPA3+WPA2 Transitional.
  3. If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2022 3:25 PM in response to WolandLondon

1. Try the Other… option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. Especially if the password has been changed.
  2. Verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later support that. Instead use WPA3+WPA2 Transitional.
  3. If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Aug 6, 2022 5:58 PM in response to WolandLondon

Hey there, WolandLondon!

Thanks so much for using Apple Support Communities.

Being able to connect to your Wi-Fi network on your Apple TV is super important! We want to recommend that you check if your Wi-Fi network is running on a WPA3 security setup. This is a newer option so if your network is relatively new, this could be the case. In that event, this sounds like expected behavior. Not all devices will support WPA3 at this time.

You may want to speak with your network provider to see if this is something you can adjust within your network settings.

Cheers!

Cannot connect Apple TV to new network (password error without any password request)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.