Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How important is to clear cache on an iPhone and/or Mac

I've seen articles telling users to clear the iPhone cache regularly. How important is it to do this?

I know that you lose all your cookies when you do this, requiring that you re log in to websites and maybe apps. Is there a rule of thumb as to the amount of system data that would be enough to make Safari and other apps slow down?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 9:31 AM

Ignore such articles. iOS manages caches better than you can. What you should do is close Safari pages that you aren’t using regularly; sometimes you don’t realize how many you have open. In Safari, tap the overlapping squares at the bottom right to review your open pages, and delete the ones you don’t use regularly.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2022 9:31 AM in response to bullwinkle143

Ignore such articles. iOS manages caches better than you can. What you should do is close Safari pages that you aren’t using regularly; sometimes you don’t realize how many you have open. In Safari, tap the overlapping squares at the bottom right to review your open pages, and delete the ones you don’t use regularly.

Aug 6, 2022 10:29 AM in response to ninjanick2189

ninjanick2189 wrote:

It is a good idea to clear your browser cache because it: prevents you from using old forms. protects your personal information. helps our applications run better on your iPhone

I noticed you pasted this advice from this website, which I'm afraid isn't relevant.

The website you got this from is a support article for applying for Canadian citizenship. As such, it's intended to help troubleshoot user issues when sending the secure application forms.

Generally, it's not necessary to delete your browser cache unless a website isn't working properly.

How important is to clear cache on an iPhone and/or Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.