Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

messages not saving to iCloud

My wife's phone continues to show storage almost full. The two culprits are Messages and WhatsApp. Her settings are the same as mine - both are green showing they are selected for iCloud storage. However, when I look at iCloud on her phone, neither one is using any space. I have turned them off, reset the phone, and turned them back on but they continue to only take up space on the phone. We have a 2TB space plan that has plenty of available space. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 8:45 AM

Turning on Whatsapp and Messages in iCloud does not move them to iCloud, it simply proliferates them to all devices on that Apple ID Account. And deleting messages will delete then on all devices. That is all it does.

Neither can be "moved" to iCloud as far as I know but you could try turning on Optimised Storage in Settings, General, iPjone storage

She will need to clear out the biggest of the attachments otherwise.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2022 8:45 AM in response to Wgraeber1

Turning on Whatsapp and Messages in iCloud does not move them to iCloud, it simply proliferates them to all devices on that Apple ID Account. And deleting messages will delete then on all devices. That is all it does.

Neither can be "moved" to iCloud as far as I know but you could try turning on Optimised Storage in Settings, General, iPjone storage

She will need to clear out the biggest of the attachments otherwise.

messages not saving to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.