Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my system data getting so bloated on macOS Monterey?

This is what is happening:

This is where it is happening:

and the user folder to my account doesn't tell me any more or any sub folder where I can see any file that accounts for this bloat - I am finding it difficult to manage the system and rather annoyed as I cannot download iCloud stuff because my drive in now unusable in terms of size taken.

I just really came into apple in a big way and this is a terrible snag to find with the filing system which is inexplicable - must I need to use my hyper focus to expert up to fix these issues?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 10:14 PM

Hwy JustRelax2!

Can you open Finder, on the top menu click Go, and while holding the Option key click Library in the drop down menu.

Afterwards, press Command i on the keyboard to get the size of the folder?

If this is the culprit, I do have some suggestions, but keep a Time Machine back up before deleting any data:

In the ~/Library, of the folders, check the size of:

Application Support

Caches

Containers

Group Containers

Logs

Mail

Mobile Documents

Screen Recordings (If there)

Not all folders are just expendable, but store data or have some essential function for the OS or some other program you have.

If you find a large sized folder above, check:

~/Application Support/MobileSync/Backups, (These are iOS backups, perhaps you have old ones you don’t need anymore and can remove).

~/Caches, (If this folder is large, you can safely delete all the contents, although initially it may slow things down, they will build up again as you use your Mac, but you will not lose any data).

~/Containers/com.apple.mail, (Or Mail), (If this folder is very large, most likely you have Mail logging enabled, and if it’s Mail logs using all your space, you can safely delete them and disable Mail logging to prevent this in the future):

Open the Mail app, On the top menu, select Window > Connection Doctor > Show Logs, once that Finder window opens, hit Command i again to get the size, of it is large, delete all the contents and empty the Trash.

You can them disable Mail logging in the Connection Doctor window by unchecking it.

~/Group Containers, (I’ve found this folder to hold important data, such as Office documents and more third party data, and some local data, if you find this folder to be larger than it should be, let me know).

~/Logs, (These are typically just diagnostic logs and can also be deleted if using too much storage).

~/Mail, (This folder does hold copies of all of your Mail, so is important, all though you may have an IMAP account, and they are safely stored on the server, your Mailboxes “On My Mac” are also here, so also wouldn’t want to delete them without that backup and/ or exporting them first. I have seen certain email providers cause a glitch to where the Mail folder just grows and grows, so you can monitor this folder to see if that’s the case.

~/Messages, (If you use the Messages app, they are stored here). If you don’t need all the Messages on your phone etc. to also be on your Mac, you can delete the contents of this folder. (Make sure if you’re using iCloud for Messages that you disable it and sign out of the Messages app via Messages > Preferences first so your other devices aren’t affected).

~/Screen Recordings. I’ve seen this folder blow up due to third party applications such as video conferencing programs that maybe set to automatically download a copy of every session, so if you don’t need, can delete.

Let me know the results of the folder sizes and will help out if I can. Likewise, if you know you can delete safely, restart them empty the Trash. Likewise, for System folders as the ones mentioned, you would want to delete the files within and not the folders themselves.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2022 10:14 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hwy JustRelax2!

Can you open Finder, on the top menu click Go, and while holding the Option key click Library in the drop down menu.

Afterwards, press Command i on the keyboard to get the size of the folder?

If this is the culprit, I do have some suggestions, but keep a Time Machine back up before deleting any data:

In the ~/Library, of the folders, check the size of:

Application Support

Caches

Containers

Group Containers

Logs

Mail

Mobile Documents

Screen Recordings (If there)

Not all folders are just expendable, but store data or have some essential function for the OS or some other program you have.

If you find a large sized folder above, check:

~/Application Support/MobileSync/Backups, (These are iOS backups, perhaps you have old ones you don’t need anymore and can remove).

~/Caches, (If this folder is large, you can safely delete all the contents, although initially it may slow things down, they will build up again as you use your Mac, but you will not lose any data).

~/Containers/com.apple.mail, (Or Mail), (If this folder is very large, most likely you have Mail logging enabled, and if it’s Mail logs using all your space, you can safely delete them and disable Mail logging to prevent this in the future):

Open the Mail app, On the top menu, select Window > Connection Doctor > Show Logs, once that Finder window opens, hit Command i again to get the size, of it is large, delete all the contents and empty the Trash.

You can them disable Mail logging in the Connection Doctor window by unchecking it.

~/Group Containers, (I’ve found this folder to hold important data, such as Office documents and more third party data, and some local data, if you find this folder to be larger than it should be, let me know).

~/Logs, (These are typically just diagnostic logs and can also be deleted if using too much storage).

~/Mail, (This folder does hold copies of all of your Mail, so is important, all though you may have an IMAP account, and they are safely stored on the server, your Mailboxes “On My Mac” are also here, so also wouldn’t want to delete them without that backup and/ or exporting them first. I have seen certain email providers cause a glitch to where the Mail folder just grows and grows, so you can monitor this folder to see if that’s the case.

~/Messages, (If you use the Messages app, they are stored here). If you don’t need all the Messages on your phone etc. to also be on your Mac, you can delete the contents of this folder. (Make sure if you’re using iCloud for Messages that you disable it and sign out of the Messages app via Messages > Preferences first so your other devices aren’t affected).

~/Screen Recordings. I’ve seen this folder blow up due to third party applications such as video conferencing programs that maybe set to automatically download a copy of every session, so if you don’t need, can delete.

Let me know the results of the folder sizes and will help out if I can. Likewise, if you know you can delete safely, restart them empty the Trash. Likewise, for System folders as the ones mentioned, you would want to delete the files within and not the folders themselves.

Aug 7, 2022 6:14 PM in response to Barney-15E

This is what Disk Utility shows after fresh boot:

this is page 2:

This is Macintosh HD which is unmounted: I have been into recovery and undertaken operations in disk utility on recovery startup to repair anything that might be detected - no problems detected in recovery mode to explain why this is unmounted at startup.

Then page 4 is the Data volume mounted - not apparently orphaned and the mount point clearly displayed here:

I have gone into spotlight and performed operation to facilitate rebuild and reboot etc not seeing any much improvement in available space:

and here is the detail of system data - generally unaffected by either of the options used -

what is option 3 to resolve the issue? I note that there have been many other people affected by these sorts of problems and I haven't yet found any post yet who has confirmed an origin or definitive solution to the problem.

Why is my system data getting so bloated on macOS Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.