Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery not charging while sleeping

Hello Apple community,

I would like to ask for your assistance. I have a Macbook pro 15 inch, 2016. when my laptop turns to sleep it STOPS charging. and when I turn it on I have to un plug the cord so it will charge again.

When I put my laptop tp sleep on Friday, it was plugged, then when I turned it on today just few minutes ago, the battery was already on 5 percent.

Please help, what should I do?

Thank you in advance for any help and answes

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 4:34 PM

Try an SMC Reset.

Disconnect all external devices from the laptop in case one or more devices are draining the battery.

Make sure you are using at least the 87W charger and proper charging cable. Try connecting the charger to another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop. Also try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry. Also try connecting the charger to another electrical outlet & directly into the wall receptacle. Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

If this does not help, then it sounds like the laptop has a hardware issue that will need to be repaired by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2022 4:34 PM in response to PurpleCatWoman

Try an SMC Reset.

Disconnect all external devices from the laptop in case one or more devices are draining the battery.

Make sure you are using at least the 87W charger and proper charging cable. Try connecting the charger to another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop. Also try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry. Also try connecting the charger to another electrical outlet & directly into the wall receptacle. Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

If this does not help, then it sounds like the laptop has a hardware issue that will need to be repaired by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Battery not charging while sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.