Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 freezing when streaming YouTube

I'm experiencing random freezes of my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 16in running Monterey when I watch YouTube videos. I have no idea what the trigger may be as the videos can play fine for some length of time and then suddenly freeze -- or sometimes the audio continues -- but I have no more control over the computer. I have to hard reboot. Once I've experienced the freeze, it often happens again quickly after restarting. But if the computer has been shut down of a while, it could be days before it happens again. I've tried restarting in safe mode and have not experienced the problem while running this way. So I must have a software conflict. But I have no idea how to troubleshoot it. Has anyone else experienced this and found a fix? Or does anyone have a suggestion for analyzing the problem? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 10:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 6:47 PM

this jumps out—

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):

2022-08-07 22:23:20 Safari Extension Crash

Executable: /Applications/1Password for Safari.app

Details:

libsystem_c.dylib: abort() called

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc impacting the  smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2022 6:47 PM in response to Mark2ain

this jumps out—

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):

2022-08-07 22:23:20 Safari Extension Crash

Executable: /Applications/1Password for Safari.app

Details:

libsystem_c.dylib: abort() called

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc. 

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc impacting the  smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

Aug 8, 2022 7:15 AM in response to Mark2ain

Mark2ain wrote:

I'm experiencing random freezes of my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 16in running Monterey when I watch YouTube videos. I have no idea what the trigger may be as the videos can play fine for some length of time and then suddenly freeze -- or sometimes the audio continues -- but I have no more control over the computer. I have to hard reboot. Once I've experienced the freeze, it often happens again quickly after restarting. But if the computer has been shut down of a while, it could be days before it happens again. I've tried restarting in safe mode and have not experienced the problem while running this way. So I must have a software conflict. But I have no idea how to troubleshoot it. Has anyone else experienced this and found a fix? Or does anyone have a suggestion for analyzing the problem? Thank you.

Did you try a different browser and compare your results...?

if no insight or resolve—

you can get a good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Aug 8, 2022 5:26 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you, Leroy. I appreciate your reply.

Safari is my default browser. I'm pretty certain that after one of the freezes, I switched to Chrome to watch the rest of the video and the crash occurred there, too. But it's worth my spending more time on Chrome to see if the behavior gets triggered there.

I took your advice and ran EtreCheck. No, I don't know how to interpret it although I did see a line under the "Report" tab that said "Hosts file is corrupt." That certainly sounds ominous.

I will do as you suggest and paste the report here. If anyone sees what the issue might be, I'll be grateful. If it helps, the last time the freeze happened was last Saturday, August 6, 2022.

MacBook Pro M1 freezing when streaming YouTube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.