Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To Delete or Not to Delete Photos Library

Up until several days ago, I would use my iPhoto app on a 2008 Mac Pro running El Capitan to update and use my pictures library. Sadly, my Mac Pro is now RIP. Fortunately I kept an up to date backup on both an external hd AND iCloud. As much as I tried moving that library to a new 2019 MacBook Pro with it's Photos app, the import never went well, so I just gave up and decided to move them to iCloud. Photos app on MBP right now is set to sync with iCloud BUT, optimizing Mac Storage, so in theory I do not have the originals on my MBP as I did on my 2008 MP.

However in my MBP I do have 2 "Photos Library.photoslibrary" in my Pictures folder. One is 428gb (inside a subfolder within Pictures and the other is just 34gb on the Pictures folder (says updated today too). I assume the former is when I tried to import them from 2008 MP to the MBP. The latter I assume is my actual library.

When I open the MBP Photos app I assume it is getting the info from iCloud and it is not using either of those libraries.

So, what I want to do is download all originals from iCloud into the MBP, AFTER I delete both of those libraries and start from scratch. And by delete I mean simply selecting those 2 libraries and dragging them to the trash.

I'm I right in thinking that by doing this, first, my iCloud photos will not be deleted, and secondly, Photos app will create a new library from scratch with the downloaded originals?

Or is there a better way for me to do this?

Thank you for any help I can get.

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2022 8:26 AM

Hi

Almost certainly the smaller of your two libraries is being used and synced with iCloud. When you use optimise storage, only the full size originals are removed from your mac. Your local library still holds the thumbnails, previews, and database.

You can check which library is used for this by opening the preferences pane in photos.

However, the best way to force a download from iCloud now that the library is optimised is with a new empty library. I'd suggest not deleting the old libraries until this is complete, and you've checked it is working. If you need the space then move them to an external drive.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2022 8:26 AM in response to roca250

Hi

Almost certainly the smaller of your two libraries is being used and synced with iCloud. When you use optimise storage, only the full size originals are removed from your mac. Your local library still holds the thumbnails, previews, and database.

You can check which library is used for this by opening the preferences pane in photos.

However, the best way to force a download from iCloud now that the library is optimised is with a new empty library. I'd suggest not deleting the old libraries until this is complete, and you've checked it is working. If you need the space then move them to an external drive.

To Delete or Not to Delete Photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.