Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I update my iPhone 6 software

Is it totally impossible for me to update my phone’s software

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 6:43 AM

Hello, The latest update to iOS 15.5 is available for iPhone 6s or later. The iPhone 6s came out in 2015. I had it and it was my favorite iPhone I’ve ever owned and I started back with my iPhone 3GS. if your iPhone is only the iPhone 6 not the iPhone 6s you’ve unfortunately had your last update. It seems it is no longer supported.

I know how you feel, tho mine was the 6s I have to live with I could have still been updating and using it had it not just went blank. I would have loved to have kept my iPhone 6s for-ever! Unfortunately my iPhone 6s could not be opened or even loaded up. It had gotten hot from a notification that didn’t get turn off and then it just died; went black. At the Apple Store they said it was in some kind of stand by mode but they could not get it to load up to sign in either or restore to factory. So I ended up buying the iPhone SE that had just come out but have been unhappy with it. One of my issues with my iPhone SE 2nd generation 64 GB; I have a post on now about it filling up my memory with duplicating all my photos and videos in the photos app. In turn making me have to use the iCloud before I chose to. But not wanting to increase my iCloud .99 a month so trying to find out how I can stop the phone apps from this duplicating.

I just couldn’t see spending what I did for the iPhone 6s when it stopped working after warranty. But due to my current memory issue even though my purchase was of the 64 gb memory, I would not buy the SE again if I had it to do over.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2022 6:43 AM in response to nelisa132

Hello, The latest update to iOS 15.5 is available for iPhone 6s or later. The iPhone 6s came out in 2015. I had it and it was my favorite iPhone I’ve ever owned and I started back with my iPhone 3GS. if your iPhone is only the iPhone 6 not the iPhone 6s you’ve unfortunately had your last update. It seems it is no longer supported.

I know how you feel, tho mine was the 6s I have to live with I could have still been updating and using it had it not just went blank. I would have loved to have kept my iPhone 6s for-ever! Unfortunately my iPhone 6s could not be opened or even loaded up. It had gotten hot from a notification that didn’t get turn off and then it just died; went black. At the Apple Store they said it was in some kind of stand by mode but they could not get it to load up to sign in either or restore to factory. So I ended up buying the iPhone SE that had just come out but have been unhappy with it. One of my issues with my iPhone SE 2nd generation 64 GB; I have a post on now about it filling up my memory with duplicating all my photos and videos in the photos app. In turn making me have to use the iCloud before I chose to. But not wanting to increase my iCloud .99 a month so trying to find out how I can stop the phone apps from this duplicating.

I just couldn’t see spending what I did for the iPhone 6s when it stopped working after warranty. But due to my current memory issue even though my purchase was of the 64 gb memory, I would not buy the SE again if I had it to do over.

Aug 9, 2022 6:05 AM in response to nelisa132

nelisa132 Said:

"How can I update my iPhone 6 software: Is it totally impossible for me to update my phone’s software"

-------

For reference...

Updating an iPhone:

How to do so...

Determine if an Update will Install:

A. Verify Compatibility:

Identify your iPhone model. The first thing that comes to mind in incompatibility being the culprit. So, confirm the model of your iPhone. If iPhone model is incompatible with iOS15 then it is because you iPhone does not meet the hardware requirements for this iOS version(s).

B. If Compatible...

1. Back Up First:

IMPORTANT: If you have an option to update, however, then be certain you backup your iPhone first. That way, you will have something to restore your iPhone from should anything go wrong with the update

then...

2. Proceed with the Update:

Use my User Tip:  Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

How can I update my iPhone 6 software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.