Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV app starts up every time I quite an app like YouTube

I just bought a 3rd Apple TV - 4k version, current OS. It installed just fine but, now, each time I quit an app (like YouTube, Plex or Viki) that stupid Apple TV app starts up. I guess it’s showing something called Top Shelf. I then need to push buttons until it returns to the normal app screen.

I’ve never used the Apple TV app on my other systems and never seen this before. Try as I might, I can’t find a way to delete the app or get it to stop this annoying behavior.

So, do I drop kick it across the room, return it as defective or see if a different brand is better? Thanks.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple TV HD, tvOS 15

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 11:46 AM

The TV/Home/Control Center button, when pressed once shortly, can bring you to the home screen fast or else to the TV app, depending on settings. Could that be it?

Set the TV button destination on Apple TV - Apple Support

Use your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote with Apple TV - Apple Support

The Home Screen starts with a row of 5 apps in a horizontal band with a large area above it, and the rest of the apps below it. The area above it is the Top Shelf. It is contextual for one of the highlighted apps in the first row of apps. It may show a background image, or even a background video, or selectable content collections for the highlighted app. For several apps, some adjustments can be made to as for what to show in the Top Shelf (e.g. for the TV App: Up Next or What to Watch). If you would move the TV app to the second row or lower, then it would never show its content in the Top Shelf, as it only applies to highlighted apps in the first row.

Customize the Apple TV Home Screen - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2022 11:46 AM in response to JimHardy

The TV/Home/Control Center button, when pressed once shortly, can bring you to the home screen fast or else to the TV app, depending on settings. Could that be it?

Set the TV button destination on Apple TV - Apple Support

Use your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote with Apple TV - Apple Support

The Home Screen starts with a row of 5 apps in a horizontal band with a large area above it, and the rest of the apps below it. The area above it is the Top Shelf. It is contextual for one of the highlighted apps in the first row of apps. It may show a background image, or even a background video, or selectable content collections for the highlighted app. For several apps, some adjustments can be made to as for what to show in the Top Shelf (e.g. for the TV App: Up Next or What to Watch). If you would move the TV app to the second row or lower, then it would never show its content in the Top Shelf, as it only applies to highlighted apps in the first row.

Customize the Apple TV Home Screen - Apple Support

Apple TV app starts up every time I quite an app like YouTube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.