Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes creates a new note every time I open the application.

As the title states, now whenever I open Notes a new note is created. If I'm in gallery view the new note stays open on top of the others, if I'm in list view it quickly disappears. What's going on, it's so annoying. Apple support had no solution.

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 6:39 AM

8 replies

Aug 9, 2022 6:45 AM in response to Community User

Have just attempted, as per your description, with Notes - command Q - Closed.

Can open Notes in either mode and can not reproduce this issue.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

Aug 9, 2022 2:15 PM in response to Community User

It would appear some piece if third party software in you main account is playing up.

But, before moving forwards - is the Notes Application being synced to a source other than iCloud ?

If not the next step is harmless to both you and the computer.

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having a semi - actual On-Hand experience  with this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer. 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Aug 9, 2022 3:29 PM in response to PRP_53

I typically don't use iCloud, interestingly enough however, I recently created a new appleid and so iCloud had been ticked to on (under System Preferences/Internet Accounts). After inactivating iCloud, Notes began working properly again. I will attach the EtreCheck report though, if you have the time or inclination I wouldn't mind getting some insight, didn't realise my security was so low.

Aug 10, 2022 4:11 AM in response to Community User

Judging from your earlier reply, you have discovered ( Well Done  on your part 👍) that mixing Syncing the Notes Application with more than one source can be problematic at best and frustrating.

Would suggest you have possibly Solved the issue yourself 😀. Use only one source to sync your Notes.

The analysis below is possible irrelevant at this point but at the sometime worth considering some actions.

Problem: Computer is too slow

Description: the notes application keeps creating a new note upon opening also slow whilst gaming.

Major Issues:

Q - Security updates disabled - Security updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

A - Personal choice

Q - MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Q - disk0 - APPLE SSD SM0256G 251.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

Q - Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics. This could be a sign of hardware failure.

A - This one is worthy of some serious considerations. The Machine is from 2015 in 2022 and SSD Drives do have a life span before it will start to indicate possible failures. That maybe worth considering a visit to an Apple Authorized Service Centre for evaluation 

Q - Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

A - Personal choice

Minor Issues:

Q - High battery cycle count - Your battery may be losing capacity.

Q - Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 731

A - Batteries are consumable product and they too have a life span before needing replacements. Apple Batteries are rated for 1000 Full Battery Cycles or 80% Capacity before needing replacements 

Unsigned Files:

Q - Plugin: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin

A - Obsolete and needs to be removed

User Login Items:

Q -  [Not Loaded] AdGuard Login Helper (App Store - installed 2022-08-08)

/Applications/added/AdGuard for Safari.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/AdGuard Login Helper.app

A - Will contribute to Issues including excess Resource, CPU and memory usages .

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a portion on each sale. What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions

Ad Guard

Internet Plug-ins:

Q 1 - Silverlight: 5.1.50901.0 (? - installed 2017-11-09)

Q 2 - iPhotoPhotocast: 7.0 (Apple - installed 2010-05-20)

Q 3 - CANONiMAGEGATEWAYDL: 3.1.0.2 (? - installed 2009-09-09)

Q 4 - o1dbrowserplugin: 5.41.3.0 (? - installed 2016-01-03)

User Internet Plug-ins:

Q 5 -  ZoomUsPlugIn: 4.0.29656.0413 (? - installed 2017-05-31)

A1 to A5 - Outdated and either need to be remove or more Current versions installed 

Q - 2022-08-05 08:17:55 Kernel Panic

A - Dovetails into the Age of the computer, SSD and Battery

Aug 9, 2022 9:53 AM in response to PRP_53

hi P -- thanks for responding so quickly, really appreciate it. i created a dummy account and the issue was not present. any suggestions?

edit: also tried safe boot, was still present.

Aug 10, 2022 11:36 AM in response to PRP_53

I will for sure, I'm going to look over your feedback in detail now, thanks again. Will probably end up getting a new machine when I have the funds. Cheers!

Notes creates a new note every time I open the application.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.