Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What should I do if I sold my iPad and I got a notification that my Apple ID was changed?

Just got a notification that my Apple ID was changed….well, yes. They had to get into the iPad. Should I do anything? I sold the iPad

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 5:13 PM

roseanna66 wrote:

Just got a notification that my Apple ID was changed….well, yes. They had to get into the iPad. Should I do anything? I sold the iPad

Follow these instructions: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies

Aug 9, 2022 5:19 PM in response to roseanna66

The worst thing possible. You sold them your iPad with your account still active on it. Then you gave them your password, which they have now changed, locking you out of your own account.

What you have now is a mess, especially if the new owners are nowhere close by.

If they are, get the password from them, if you can. Then go back in and remove the iPad you sold from your account. Change the password again and change the two factor ID answers so only you can get back in.

Login to the iPad you sold so you can properly erase it (see Bob's link). When done, it should start up to the "Hello" screen as if it just came out of the box. From there, the new owners set up their own Apple ID and password for the device.

What should I do if I sold my iPad and I got a notification that my Apple ID was changed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.