Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with search on external drive

Since I upgraded to 12.5 OS, I have problem with search on external hard drive, very slow and does not find all files. I have indexed the external drive twice thru spotlight.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2022 9:47 PM

R-M-M Said:

"Problem with search on external drive: Since I upgraded to 12.5 OS, I have problem with search on external hard drive, very slow and does not find all files. I have indexed the external drive twice thru spotlight."

-------

Troubleshooting Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2022 9:47 PM in response to R-M-M

R-M-M Said:

"Problem with search on external drive: Since I upgraded to 12.5 OS, I have problem with search on external hard drive, very slow and does not find all files. I have indexed the external drive twice thru spotlight."

-------

Troubleshooting Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 10, 2022 6:01 PM in response to R-M-M

R-M-M Said:

"Problem with search on external drive: Removed all login in items. Tried safe mode-result 0 items found. first aid check on hard drive- result “loading” no files displayed. I thought my external drive was dying so bought a new external drive, same result on new drive. Formatted new using exfat."

-------

Based on Personal Experience:

Use Disk Utility: I wouldn't rely on a third-party app for formatting my drive --Disk Utility what I always use. Never had any issues doing so. So, you might want to consider doing the same. See if that makes all the difference. Or did you try Disk Utility, with no success?

Problem with search on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.