Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Drops Calls While Using AirPods

When I use my AirPods Pro with my iPhone 12 Pro, calls consistently drop within 5-10 minutes. If I call back and use the speaker instead, the call does NOT drop. (No, I’m NOT touching the stems.)

Does anyone have any idea how to make stable calls while using AirPods Pro?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 10:35 AM

Nello Lucchesi Said:

"iPhone Drops Calls While Using AirPods: […]Thank you for the suggestions. […]The only time that calls are dropping is when I use my AirPods Pro. […]Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you again for replying

———-

You are welcome.

Troubleshoot the AirPods’ Connectivity:

Start Here: Connect your AirPods and AirPods Pro to your iPhone - Apple Support

Other Thoughts to Try:

A. Visit Apple Support links:

B. Verify the Balance:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Accessibility
  4. Scroll Down: to Hearing
  5. Adjust: the audio volume balance

C. Clear Out Earwax:

How to Clean your AirPods and EarPods - Apple Support

D. Get and Use the Correct AirPod Pro Eat Tips:

1. Go Here: Choose your AirPods Pro Ear Tips and Use the Ear Tip Fit Test - Apple Support
  2. As it reads: "Try inserting the AirPods with the medium-sized ear tips in your ears so that the AirPods are seated comfortably and securely. If you can’t get a good seal, try adjusting the AirPod or switch to a larger ear tip. If the ear tip feels too large in your ear or is uncomfortable, try a smaller ear tip."
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2022 10:35 AM in response to Nello Lucchesi

Nello Lucchesi Said:

"iPhone Drops Calls While Using AirPods: […]Thank you for the suggestions. […]The only time that calls are dropping is when I use my AirPods Pro. […]Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you again for replying

———-

You are welcome.

Troubleshoot the AirPods’ Connectivity:

Start Here: Connect your AirPods and AirPods Pro to your iPhone - Apple Support

Other Thoughts to Try:

A. Visit Apple Support links:

B. Verify the Balance:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Accessibility
  4. Scroll Down: to Hearing
  5. Adjust: the audio volume balance

C. Clear Out Earwax:

How to Clean your AirPods and EarPods - Apple Support

D. Get and Use the Correct AirPod Pro Eat Tips:

1. Go Here: Choose your AirPods Pro Ear Tips and Use the Ear Tip Fit Test - Apple Support
  2. As it reads: "Try inserting the AirPods with the medium-sized ear tips in your ears so that the AirPods are seated comfortably and securely. If you can’t get a good seal, try adjusting the AirPod or switch to a larger ear tip. If the ear tip feels too large in your ear or is uncomfortable, try a smaller ear tip."

Aug 10, 2022 11:12 PM in response to Nello Lucchesi

Nello Lucchesi Said:

"iPhone Drops Calls While Using AirPods: When I use my AirPods Pro with my iPhone 12 Pro, calls consistently drop within 5-10 minutes. If I call back and use the speaker instead, the call does NOT drop. (No, I’m NOT touching the stems.) Does anyone have any idea how to make stable calls while using AirPods Pro?"

-------

It may be the iPhone, and not the AirPods. So, troubleshoot the iPhone...

Troubleshooting Dropping Calls:

A. Install a Cellular Update:

It might be prompting you for a cellular update to install. So, go here for that. Update your carrier settings manually on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Also...

B. "No Service":

Is "No Service" shown on the top-left corner of your screen? If so, go here to fix that: If you See No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

No Success?...

C. Whom to Contact:

Contact your Carrier, as they are the one who provide you with the service of Cellular and Voicemail.

Aug 18, 2022 7:21 AM in response to Nello Lucchesi

I contacted Apple Support and reproduced the problem on the call; the representative scheduled a repair at my local Apple Store for the next day. At the Store they couldn’t find anything wrong with my settings but I wasn’t able to reproduce the problem.

Nevertheless, they agreed to swap out my AirPods Pro since they were under warranty.

I haven't had this problem since then.

Aug 11, 2022 6:30 AM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles:

Thank you for your suggestions.

The only time that calls are dropping is when I use my AirPods Pro. (I have not tried other alternatives to the iPhone’s speakers, e.g., wired earpods or other Bluetooth earpods.) Thus, I don’t think that your suggestions apply.

With respect to your suggestions specifically:

1. Cellular Update: I followed the directions on the help page, tapping Settings → General → About. However I do not see any “onscreen instructions to install your carrier update.” Within the block of information with the heading Physical SIM, my Network is “TRW” and Carrier is “TRW 50.0.1”; is there something that should do with this information?
  2. No Service: I have service and “LTE” is displayed. (Yes, I realize that LTE is an indication of cellular data service; is there a specific indicator of voice service status?)
  3. Contact Carrier: I have no desire to contact my cellular provider and have them tell me that since the iPhone works without the AirPods, the obvious conclusion is that the cellular service is fine and the problem has something to do with the way my iPhone interacts with my AirPods Pro.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you again for replying.

Aug 18, 2022 4:04 PM in response to Nello Lucchesi

Nello Lucchesi Said:

"iPhone Drops Calls While Using AirPods: […]At the Store they couldn’t find anything wrong with my settings but I wasn’t able to reproduce the problem. Nevertheless, they agree to swap out my AirPods Pro since they were under warranty. I haven’t had this problem since then.

———-

All is Fine from here:

Interesting that this could not be reproduced. Whatever the cause, all is fixed. And example as to why to get coverage, when and where necessary and available, respectively. So, you are fine from here.

iPhone Drops Calls While Using AirPods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.