Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with new Mac Studio computer

I recently got a new Mac Studio computer at work to replace my old Mac Pro from 2013. Although it's faster starting up, I have been having so many problems with Internet connection, slow software and copying files. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. When I open or save Illustrator files I get the spinning beach ball that just keeps spinning forever. I have to do a force quit and in the Force Quit window it says "Illustrator 2022 (not responding)" every single time. Just opening or saving a small file (less than 1 MB) takes forever. When I'm in InDesign and I just pull a window edge over or click on a panel I get the spinning beach ball, too. And I have to force quit out of that to get it to stop.

I don't know if it's because I have the Monterey OS now, but I never had these problems with Catalina on my old computer. Even the Internet is super slow and none of my coworkers are having the same problems I'm having. But they are on PCs. I have contacted Adobe, and of course, I don't have these problems when they are remoting in my computer. It happens sporadically throughout the day. When I copy two files that are less than 600 KB, it takes thirty seconds to copy. And sometimes when I double-click on a file it won't open up. I have to drag it to the icon in my dock to get it to open or open it from within the program. Is anyone else having these problems?

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 5:23 PM

Hi, veronicamade… can’t say if I’ve ever had this problem/these problems, but i’m sure there are other Mac Users ( like me and like you) who have… it sure must be frustrating and baffling for you… however, there are things you can do to help narrow the problem down…

1) start up in Safe Mode( single user ) mode and see if the problem goes away… you can do that by rebooting your Mac Studio and using a usb wired keyboard plugged into it, hold down the “”Shift” key on the keyboard while it’s starting up.. you should see “Safe Mode” on your monitor/screen… try to copy a file or two or use the Internet on your Mac Studio and see if that works as you’d expect it to, or as quickly… if your results are iffy and the problem didn’t go away, then try Apple Diagnostics, see this link : Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

and you have to also verify if you have an Apple Silicon(M1?) Mac or an Intel Mac as the procedure is a bit different for each type/kind of Mac: how to verify which kind you have go here: Mac computers with Apple silicon - Apple Support (CA)

You have a 1 year warranty and 1 year of support on your Mac Studio, more if you bought AppleCare+… I suggest you reach out to /contact Apple Support at their 1-800 toll free number or via email or however you can do so. They are friendly and helpful and will do their best to help you out… have all your documentation close at hand, be at your Mac Studio, be ready to give them all relevant/necessary info, follow their suggestions, be patient, persistent and be polite… this link from Adobe says that Illustrator will work on M1 Macs : https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html with certain limitations… you need Rosetta 2 for certain plugins in Illustrator and you should maybe run it in Rosetta(2) mode -info about how to do that is here : If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

Here’s something about an M1 native version of InDesign: https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/indesign/kb/Indesign-for-apple-silicon.html… i suppose there might be an M1 native version of Illustrator… anyways, talk to Apple support… and see what they say.. it might be a hardware problem with your Mac Studio… i don’t want to scare you, but you may have a “sour, Lemon flavored” Mac studio… reach out to Apple support… with an Intel Mac i could help you better. But with an M1 mac ( apple silicon) i can’t help you much

john b

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2022 5:23 PM in response to veronicamade

Hi, veronicamade… can’t say if I’ve ever had this problem/these problems, but i’m sure there are other Mac Users ( like me and like you) who have… it sure must be frustrating and baffling for you… however, there are things you can do to help narrow the problem down…

1) start up in Safe Mode( single user ) mode and see if the problem goes away… you can do that by rebooting your Mac Studio and using a usb wired keyboard plugged into it, hold down the “”Shift” key on the keyboard while it’s starting up.. you should see “Safe Mode” on your monitor/screen… try to copy a file or two or use the Internet on your Mac Studio and see if that works as you’d expect it to, or as quickly… if your results are iffy and the problem didn’t go away, then try Apple Diagnostics, see this link : Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

and you have to also verify if you have an Apple Silicon(M1?) Mac or an Intel Mac as the procedure is a bit different for each type/kind of Mac: how to verify which kind you have go here: Mac computers with Apple silicon - Apple Support (CA)

You have a 1 year warranty and 1 year of support on your Mac Studio, more if you bought AppleCare+… I suggest you reach out to /contact Apple Support at their 1-800 toll free number or via email or however you can do so. They are friendly and helpful and will do their best to help you out… have all your documentation close at hand, be at your Mac Studio, be ready to give them all relevant/necessary info, follow their suggestions, be patient, persistent and be polite… this link from Adobe says that Illustrator will work on M1 Macs : https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html with certain limitations… you need Rosetta 2 for certain plugins in Illustrator and you should maybe run it in Rosetta(2) mode -info about how to do that is here : If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac - Apple Support

Here’s something about an M1 native version of InDesign: https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/indesign/kb/Indesign-for-apple-silicon.html… i suppose there might be an M1 native version of Illustrator… anyways, talk to Apple support… and see what they say.. it might be a hardware problem with your Mac Studio… i don’t want to scare you, but you may have a “sour, Lemon flavored” Mac studio… reach out to Apple support… with an Intel Mac i could help you better. But with an M1 mac ( apple silicon) i can’t help you much

john b

Problems with new Mac Studio computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.