Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an old 5 watt apple charger with my new iPad Air 5th generation?

I have a bunch of old apple chargers around. If I get the appropriate connecting cable, can I use an old 5 watt apple charger with my new iPad Air 5th generation? (I would do this as a backup option, primarily, not as a primary charging source.)

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 1:05 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 10, 2022 3:51 PM in response to Dwayne Holsapple

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 10-12W or greater to reliably charge, recent models being supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports also cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

Can I use an old 5 watt apple charger with my new iPad Air 5th generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.