Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K disconnecting ARC device.

Got a Apple TV 4K last night, and now my tv audio is no longer going to my soundbar. The only way to get audio to my soundbar and leave the Apple TV connected is by using the optical cable, but that is not ideal because the sound also plays from the tv. If I disconnect the Apple TV 4K, all goes back to normal from the ARC port to my soundbar.

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 7:01 AM

The linked article is about the use of HomePods or HomePod Minis for when the content source is not the Apple TV box. It doesn’t apply to soundbars. It doesn’t apply to content streaming from apps on the Apple TV box.

Functionality and connections may differ for various models soundbar. Please specify your model.

Often a good setup is to connect as

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI ARC/eARC]→ soundbar (ARC: stereo or DD 5.1; eARC: any audio format)

or

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV →[optical/coax/RCA]→ soundbar (optical/coax: stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1; RCA: stereo)

and set the TV for audio passthrough to the soundbar for all content.

Without a high bandwidth connection to the soundbar (eARC or direct), PCM Multichannel or Dolby Atmos (Dolby MAT) is not supported/​available. Then set Apple TV audio format to output in Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo. Adjust other audio settings on Apple TV - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2022 7:01 AM in response to racquelle145

The linked article is about the use of HomePods or HomePod Minis for when the content source is not the Apple TV box. It doesn’t apply to soundbars. It doesn’t apply to content streaming from apps on the Apple TV box.

Functionality and connections may differ for various models soundbar. Please specify your model.

Often a good setup is to connect as

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI ARC/eARC]→ soundbar (ARC: stereo or DD 5.1; eARC: any audio format)

or

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV →[optical/coax/RCA]→ soundbar (optical/coax: stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1; RCA: stereo)

and set the TV for audio passthrough to the soundbar for all content.

Without a high bandwidth connection to the soundbar (eARC or direct), PCM Multichannel or Dolby Atmos (Dolby MAT) is not supported/​available. Then set Apple TV audio format to output in Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo. Adjust other audio settings on Apple TV - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

Apple TV 4K disconnecting ARC device.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.