Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't set up iCloud drive

I have newly purchase iMac 2021. It has a continuous spinning wheel of 'setting up iCloud Drive'. Can anyone shed some light on how I can get it to complete the connection or any settings that may be stopping it?

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2022 10:10 PM

littletrove Said:

"Thank you. I tried the safe mode boot but the problem persists in safe mode and afterwards, in a normal startup too. Im also having issuers with downloading where the download starts for a second then snaps off which is why I am wondering whether there is some setting that isn't correct."

-------

Troubleshooting iCloud Logins:

Go here: If you can't Connect or Sign in to iCloud - Apple Support

B. Troubleshoot the Mac's Wi-Fi:

A few thoughts to try...

I. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

II. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

III. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

IV. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

V. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only) Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2022 10:10 PM in response to littletrove

littletrove Said:

"Thank you. I tried the safe mode boot but the problem persists in safe mode and afterwards, in a normal startup too. Im also having issuers with downloading where the download starts for a second then snaps off which is why I am wondering whether there is some setting that isn't correct."

-------

Go here: If you can't Connect or Sign in to iCloud - Apple Support

B. Troubleshoot the Mac's Wi-Fi:

A few thoughts to try...

I. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

II. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

III. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

IV. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

V. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Basel Macs Only) Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

Aug 10, 2022 8:31 PM in response to littletrove

littletrove Said:

"iMac won't set up iCloud drive: I have newly purchase iMac 2021. It has a continuous spinning wheel of 'setting up iCloud Drive'. Can anyone shed some light on how I can get it to complete the connection or any settings that may be stopping it?"

-------

1. Refer to the link provided atop this post.

2. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another iCloud login For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 10, 2022 10:32 PM in response to littletrove

Hey littletrove!

Do you have other Mac’s by chance that work normally? And likewise iOS devices? Depending, what I’d the capacity of the new Mac? And how much storage is iCloud Drive using on your Apple ID? Finally, Can you check if you have Optimize Storage enabled in System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud? (Scroll down a bit).

Thanks! I have some clear ideas, but those answers may help, as well as, as said, testing in a new user, and perhaps another network, etc.

Aug 10, 2022 11:29 PM in response to littletrove

littletrove Said:

"iMac won't set up iCloud drive: Ok so creating a new admin user seems to have fixed both the iCloud and the download issue. Many thanks for your greater wisdom. Much appreciated! Many thanks to everyone else who helped, I did try most of the things mentioned and also gained some new wisdom from those too!"

-------

You are welcome. Excellent job troubleshooting!

iMac won't set up iCloud drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.