Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain login

my computer has started asking for "accounts wants to use the login keychain. Please enter the keychain password". This occurs often even when entered and in the middle of doing things. How can I stop this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 9:53 AM

See the article If you need to update your keychain password on Mac - Apple Support

Applicable for Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

Note : in case if iCloud keychain is set up Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support in Mac , you should not reset my default keychain as iCloud Keychain settings will be disturbed , so open keychain access using Mac spotlight , right click on login and delete " keychain login " , this will delete your only old login keychain ( that has been corrupted ) and password saved in it , you must remember your primary admin name and its password , delete the login keychain then restart the Mac from apple logo .

You have to enter admin name and new password the pop up will go away .

Note : for normal working Mac the lock should be always open never close it .

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2022 9:53 AM in response to vivian277

See the article If you need to update your keychain password on Mac - Apple Support

Applicable for Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

Note : in case if iCloud keychain is set up Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support in Mac , you should not reset my default keychain as iCloud Keychain settings will be disturbed , so open keychain access using Mac spotlight , right click on login and delete " keychain login " , this will delete your only old login keychain ( that has been corrupted ) and password saved in it , you must remember your primary admin name and its password , delete the login keychain then restart the Mac from apple logo .

You have to enter admin name and new password the pop up will go away .

Note : for normal working Mac the lock should be always open never close it .

Sep 19, 2022 1:50 PM in response to tygb

I have osMonterey and none of the above screen shots match my screens. My login shows the lock open. iCloud doesn't display any locks. System shows closed lock. System Roots are locked. I find NO options for changing or deleting keychain password. Why can't Apple make finding the password simple for us? I don't believe my keychain password EVER worked and I don't recall ever setting it up on my Mac but I did on my iPhone but like I said the password never took so I have NO idea what to do about it. I surely don't want to lose all my passwords and data. :| Nothing in this thread is helpful. My problem started after using a digital signature with Adobe for an email now I can't send any emails from my Mac! So frustrating.

Keychain login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.