Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted multiple copies of the same photo in 'Photos' of a iPhone 11.

I keep getting a ridiculous number of extra photos being added to my Photos on my iPhone 11. I'm talking about not just 2 or 3, I'm talking about 50 - 100 copies of the same photos. It's eating up all of my data space. Then whenever I connect my iPhone to my iMac, it ask if I wanted to import these photos. I also don't understand why photos is asking me to import photos that are NOT NEW. And it's so random. Please someone help ! Thanks, Wesley Wong

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 10:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 7:00 AM

How are you sharing your photos with your wife?

If you are sharing an iCloud/Apple ID - then you also need to worry about her phone and mac settings. Because anything that causes a change between her phone and mac will also be replicated back into iCloud at her end, and then will replicate onto your phone/mac also. It is generally not advised to share apple IDs.

In order to work out what is going on, you will need to look at specific examples of duplicated photos - work out what is different between two two of them by looking at the info for both files - is it filename, type, metadata etc - also compare with the original version of that file on the source (whether it is the phone or a camera and whether the original import location is your phone or mac.)

And if either of you use both USB and iCloud to sync photos that is likely to cause duplication, since the file date of the file transferred via iCloud will be different from that on the phone so will appear as a different file.

And this can cause multiple duplicates - eg

File transferred via icloud has a different date from the one on the phone. So when synced via USB is duplicated.

Then the duplicated version is transferred back to the phone via iCloud - with the different date - to be copied again next time.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2022 7:00 AM in response to wesinthewest

How are you sharing your photos with your wife?

If you are sharing an iCloud/Apple ID - then you also need to worry about her phone and mac settings. Because anything that causes a change between her phone and mac will also be replicated back into iCloud at her end, and then will replicate onto your phone/mac also. It is generally not advised to share apple IDs.

In order to work out what is going on, you will need to look at specific examples of duplicated photos - work out what is different between two two of them by looking at the info for both files - is it filename, type, metadata etc - also compare with the original version of that file on the source (whether it is the phone or a camera and whether the original import location is your phone or mac.)

And if either of you use both USB and iCloud to sync photos that is likely to cause duplication, since the file date of the file transferred via iCloud will be different from that on the phone so will appear as a different file.

And this can cause multiple duplicates - eg

File transferred via icloud has a different date from the one on the phone. So when synced via USB is duplicated.

Then the duplicated version is transferred back to the phone via iCloud - with the different date - to be copied again next time.

Aug 12, 2022 5:22 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Tony,

Everything you said applies to my problem because just about every point you were making, transferring files, converting from HEIC to JPEG, Optimizing phone storage, etc. etc. are things I all have been doing. So hopefully you basically solved most if not all of the problem. I happen to actually be a photographer as well so I tend to shoot a lot of photos which exaggerates the problem as well.

Part of my long question above was also about when I am uploading photos into my computer from my iPhone. For example I just wanted to add just a few new photos I took today, I will be shown a backlog of images I took years ago and asked if I want to add all of those images. I'm sending you a screen shot of an example of what I mean. In this situation there are '74' copies of the same photo. I never converted the original photo (jpg copy of a print....) I took and there's a randomness as well as to how many extra copies I have each duplicated photo. Is there an explanation and solution for this as well ?

Lastly my wife who is currently living in another country and whose phone I do not have access to, is having the same problem with her photos. Is this because we 'share' photos ? Much appreciated for your help in trying to resolve this problem for me. I know it's a complicated one. One last question I have is that I have been hesitant to delete photos because I have some copies in other folders. If I deleted all the copies without knowing which copies were in other folders, would that delete the photos from this folder as well ?

Aug 11, 2022 11:53 PM in response to wesinthewest

Hi

This problem normally comes when the files are changed in some way as they are transferred to the Mac. Often the result of using different methods of transferring the files (EG texting / direct connection / photostream / iCloud). Pick one method of transfer from phone to Mac, and stick with it. Don't mix them.

Different versions of IOS can also impact this EG when photos are converted from HEIC to JPG. Iphone setting photos>transfer to mac or pc - set to automatic might convert the files. Try setting this to "keep originals". The phone will then send the files in the original HEIC format instead of JPG. (This is the most likely cause, and the easiest one to check for). However you'll still have duplicates on your mac in jpg format which you could choose to delete from the imports folder (if you are sure you still have the originals on your phone)

Another cause can be when iCloud photos is enabled on the phone with “Optimise phone storage” set. If iCloud re-downloads an image that has been optimised, that can result in it being seen as a new image. Even worse, any photo uploaded from your mac to iCloud, then downloaded to the phone with iCloud can be seen as a new image when synced via USB. Best solution; DON’T mix iCloud sync with USB sync.

Photostream is also being phased out, and hasn't been improved for some time resulting in an inability to work with some file types.

Images will only be recognised as the same image if the file being compared on your mac is exactly the same as the one on your phone. Same file name and type, same size, same metadata etc. Often images imported from other apps (whatsapp, messenger etc) can also be changed during transfer.

By far the easiest way to manage photos is by using iCloud sync, but that does have a monthly cost.

What version of MacOS do you have?

What version of IOS is on you phones?

Unwanted multiple copies of the same photo in 'Photos' of a iPhone 11.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.