Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reclaiming Photos library space after turning off "copy files to library".

I do a fresh install of MacOS every year or so and I always set the Photos app to not copy the photos across to the library. Well, this time I forgot to change that setting, so now I have a very large library file plus the same original photos again on my mac.

I really do not want to delete the originals. I like to have my photos browsable in the finder.

I've spent a huge amount of time importing 20 years of pictures and arranging them into albums and assigning key photos and I do not want to do that again.

So, is there a way to delete the photos library file and retain the albums inside the photos app?

Or I would even delete the library and start again if there was a way to drag my pictures into the app and have it import them all whilst retaining the folder structure of the folder im dragging in.

If anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated. I really dont want to spend days sorting them all out again.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 6:48 AM

There is no way to delete the files from within the library and make them referenced again.

However you can re-import into a new empty library and retain the folder structure (almose - each folder also contains an album which holds the actual files). Try it with one or two folders before comitting.

However, in your shoes, I'd just copy the originals to an external drive, and use that as a backup/finder browsable version.

Make sure to check the "keep folder organisation" checkbox.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2022 6:48 AM in response to yumyab

There is no way to delete the files from within the library and make them referenced again.

However you can re-import into a new empty library and retain the folder structure (almose - each folder also contains an album which holds the actual files). Try it with one or two folders before comitting.

However, in your shoes, I'd just copy the originals to an external drive, and use that as a backup/finder browsable version.

Make sure to check the "keep folder organisation" checkbox.

Aug 12, 2022 7:30 AM in response to yumyab

I'd offer two insights:

1. I do a fresh install of MacOS every year or so

Why? Given the OS is updated every year, what's the point? I've been using Macs 30 years next year and I've reinstalled the OS 5 or 6 times. Mostly because I knew no better.

2 I like to have my photos browsable in the finder.

Why, Im tempted to ask again. But if you do, then use an app that is equipped to manage that set up, and Photos isn't it. There are many others and they would have rendered this issue non-existent. Using Photos in this scenario is an invitation to pain, as you're finding out. Mylio, Lightroom Classic. Exposure X7, On1 Photo Raw etc etc etc are all worth checking out.

Aug 12, 2022 9:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

I do a fresh install every time I update to the next version of MacOS. I dont like to install over my existing system and it always helps get rid of lots of rubbish thats been accumulating from uninstalled apps and things like that. Appcleaner is good but it doesnt always get everything, especially from old music software and the likes.

I always get some storage back when I do it. It also makes the mac seem slightly quicker. Ive been doing it for almost 20 years and I wouldnt bother if I didnt feel it was worth it.

My current set up with Photos app and finder does me just fine as long as I remember to check that box not to copy the files to the library.

Reclaiming Photos library space after turning off "copy files to library".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.