Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APFS automatic conversion

Hi there

To continue with somebody’s old thread… https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8626268?

I bought an external hard drive 2 days ago and formatted it using Mac OS extended (Journaled) …Today when I plugged it in, it got converted automatically to APFS Physical Store and is not mounting anymore. But, the USB hard drive is detected in Disk Utility.

As it doesn’t show anywhere, I cannot access the data. Erase is not an option as I cannot loose its contents. 

I turned the computer on and off, checked different cables, different computers both Mac and Windows and it doesn’t show.

I cannot even use an external recovery software because the drive is Uninitialised so it doesn’t appear there either.

Help please.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 12, 2022 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 2:48 AM

External Drives do fail over time and very often without a warning.

" Erase is not an option as I cannot loose its contents.  " only option I can think of is, to engage a Professional Data Recovery Company to attempt to recovery some of the Data.

They are not cheap and will probable alert you to, they may not be able to recovery ALL Data

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2022 2:48 AM in response to Geeman88

External Drives do fail over time and very often without a warning.

" Erase is not an option as I cannot loose its contents.  " only option I can think of is, to engage a Professional Data Recovery Company to attempt to recovery some of the Data.

They are not cheap and will probable alert you to, they may not be able to recovery ALL Data

APFS automatic conversion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.