Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When using imovie, trying to import media but files are grayed out. Anyone able to walk me through a fix?

When using iMovie, trying to import media but files are grayed out. Example Keynote file, sound files etc. I have tried to save in various places desktop, icloud, downloads, various places to see if it sorts, but all keep remaining grayed out. Can anyone help with this please? Thanks in advance

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 12:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 8:42 AM

Rich, thanks so much for your response. I am a new MacBook user and its all a bit bonkers, it's like learning everything I know about PC's all over again! Followed your advice and I know see that I was not saving the Keynote lower third as an image (TIFF as an example). Done that and hey presto, it worked first time. Not sure why so many other files are still grey all over the filing system, but that's for another day.

I also followed the reset preference in iMovie as well, which is a great tip.

Thanks for being so supportive, much appreciated.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2022 8:42 AM in response to Rich839

Rich, thanks so much for your response. I am a new MacBook user and its all a bit bonkers, it's like learning everything I know about PC's all over again! Followed your advice and I know see that I was not saving the Keynote lower third as an image (TIFF as an example). Done that and hey presto, it worked first time. Not sure why so many other files are still grey all over the filing system, but that's for another day.

I also followed the reset preference in iMovie as well, which is a great tip.

Thanks for being so supportive, much appreciated.

Aug 13, 2022 8:59 AM in response to tegzee

You are welcome. Glad you got it working at least for the exported Keynote files.

I don't know why the others files are grayed out. You might post a screen shot of the import window. Do a Command-Shift-4 and drag select the import screen to make a screen shot. Then click on the Image Insertion button at the bottom of your post window.

Aug 13, 2022 8:03 AM in response to tegzee

Not everything can be imported into iMovie. Files must be in a compatible movie, image, or audio format. Word document files cannot be imported into iMovie, and so the import window shows them as grayed out. Same with Keynote files that are still in a Keynote format. However, I do have an .aiff audio file on my desktop that is not grayed out. All photos and videos are not grayed out.

Instead of using the import window, try dragging the file into iMovie. If it won't go in, them possibly it is in an incompatible format. If the format is in fact compatible but still won't import, then possibly a corrupt iMovie preference is causing the problem.

Try deleting/resetting preferences. To delete/reset preferences close and then open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. Now see if your import function works.

-- Rich

When using imovie, trying to import media but files are grayed out. Anyone able to walk me through a fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.