Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac refuses to boot up, urgent help needed 😭🙏🏻

Help please! 🙏🏻

My late 2015 27-inch iMac will not boot up (suddenly out of the blue!), I only get the black starting screen with Apple logo and progress bar - and then it shuts down just before it reaches all the way to the end.

Have tried several fixes all to no avail:

recovery mode

safe boot

disk first aid (failed)

reset PRAM

and it refuses to reinstall the OS

What are my options now? Any help is very much appreciated! 🙏🏻

I simply cannot afford to lose any of my files, and I have work to do this weekend!! 😭

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 8:43 AM

If you have been using Time Machine or some other backup method your data is safe. However if you have not been backing up, then your data is likely gone unless you saved some data using iCloud.

Please follow the steps in If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar - Apple Support. If you still cannot get the iMac to startup after exhausting what is stated in the above link, please make an appointment with your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to have the computer professionally diagnosed. To locate an Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area please click Apple Repair and Repair Status Check - Official Apple Support to begin the process.

Best of luck!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2022 8:43 AM in response to Abstractman23

If you have been using Time Machine or some other backup method your data is safe. However if you have not been backing up, then your data is likely gone unless you saved some data using iCloud.

Please follow the steps in If your Mac starts up to an Apple logo or progress bar - Apple Support. If you still cannot get the iMac to startup after exhausting what is stated in the above link, please make an appointment with your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to have the computer professionally diagnosed. To locate an Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area please click Apple Repair and Repair Status Check - Official Apple Support to begin the process.

Best of luck!

Aug 13, 2022 1:00 PM in response to Abstractman23

Data recovery apps are almost always 100% worthless, however employing a data recovery service can be more fruitful however expect to spend in the 5 figures ($10K plus) this is why it is absolutely critical that you have a sound backup plan. At a bare minimum you should be using Time Machine to safeguard your data. Back up your Mac with Time Machine. An external HD is required for Time Machine, many experienced users recommend the OWC Mercury Elite Pro due to it's reasonable cost, high reliability and OWC's great service.

Aug 13, 2022 3:12 PM in response to Old Toad

Ok great thanks! This sounds somewhat promising that I won’t have lost any data.

I have a friend in another part of town who also has an iMac (similar model: late 2015) which I could connect it to. I’m running OS X (El Capitan) but I’m sure he’s running something much later. Would that cause any problems?

Should I try Target Disk Mode before lugging my over iMac to his place? Or do they need to be first connected before I can see if it’s possible?

Your help is very much appreciated! 🙌🏻🙏🏻

I’m somewhat baffled that the Genius did not suggest this as an option, but instead advised me to use a (pricey) data recovery company 🤔

Aug 13, 2022 3:25 PM in response to Abstractman23

Abstractman23 wrote:

Ok great thanks! This sounds somewhat promising that I won’t have lost any data.

Q1 - I have a friend in another part of town who also has an iMac (similar model: late 2015) which I could connect it to. I’m running OS X (El Capitan) but I’m sure he’s running something much later. Would that cause any problems?

Q2 - Should I try Target Disk Mode before lugging my over iMac to his place? Or do they need to be first connected before I can see if it’s possible?

Your help is very much appreciated! 🙌🏻🙏🏻

I’m somewhat baffled that the Genius did not suggest this as an option, but instead advised me to use a (pricey) data recovery company 🤔

Q1 - no, it won't make any difference. Get an external drive you can connect to your friend's Mac and copy the user data to it. Make sure it is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) OR APFS. This is because your friend's iMac probably won't have enough room to put all of your home folder on it.

Q2 - yes, just see if it will boot into TDM even without another Mac connected.

iMac refuses to boot up, urgent help needed 😭🙏🏻

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.