Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome Repeatedly Adds itself to Login Items

I'm adding this question so I can help others avoid wasting time with this problem, because this answer Chrome keeps adding itself to startup ite… - Apple Community and many other answers in similar posts did not address this specific situation:

Problem: Each time after removing the Chrome login item in: General > Login Items, it adds it again when I open Chrome. (Regardless if you restart or not)

Wrong Diagnosis: Most answers in this forum assume one of these two solutions:

1. Apple Preference/Settings > General > Login > Remove the Chrome Login Item from the "Open at Login
  2. Chrome setting > On startup > Deselect "Continue where you left off" is not selected.

Note: This is the wrong answer for this problem regardless of the situation, though many people continue suggesting it. This only reopens the tabs from where you left off and does not add anything to the login items

Both of these solutions are actually more of a novice macOS user mistake, but are not the proper diagnosis in this situation

Diagnosing Problem: To properly diagnose this problem, I turned on notifications for when login items were added. This showed me, it was a specific Chrome profile, as I would only get a notification every time I opened that profile and no others.

Solution:

1. Delete the profile
  2. Quit Chrome (This may not be necessary, but as a precaution)
  3. Apple Preference/Settings > General > Login > Remove the Chrome Login Item from the "Open at Login"
  4. Recreate the Profile

Potential Cause: I believe the cause of the problem in my case was I removed the chrome login Item in macOS settings/preferences, when this profile was "Managed by an Organization", potentially preventing Chrome on my MacBook from updating that profile.

MacBook, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2022 9:48 AM

Diagnosing Problem: To properly diagnose this problem, I turned on notifications for when login items were added. This showed me, it was a specific Chrome profile, as I would only get a notification every time I opened that profile and no others.

Solution:

1. Delete the profile
  3. Apple Preference/Settings > General > Login > Remove the Chrome Login Item from the "Open at Login"
  4. Recreate the Profile

Potential Cause: I believe the cause of the problem in my case was I removed the chrome login Item in macOS settings/preferences, when this profile was "Managed by an Organization", potentially preventing Chrome on my MacBook from updating that profile.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2022 9:48 AM in response to MagicKing1971

Solution:

1. Delete the profile
  4. Recreate the Profile

Aug 13, 2022 11:43 AM in response to dialabrain

I believe you misread what I wrote. I was specifically referring to a setting in a Google Chrome profile that has nothing to do with macOS being managed or not managed. (See screenshot below), if you only use Safari, you may not be familiar with the profiles feature, as Safari does not have it.

I can ensure you that millions of Mac users do work for businesses that range from small to large using Google Workspace accounts that are managed by their organization. And since COVID started, many have been using their own Macs while working from home, and must login into their Google Workspace account. The same is true for developers doing projects/contract work for companies that require them to use a company account so they can share images & documents securely, collaborate and use the company email.

Aug 13, 2022 8:55 PM in response to dialabrain

Despite not contributing in this forum before now, I'm a 26 year web and software developer that has been using Macs for over 15 years now, I've even written macOS applications, I know the difference between the two.

So let's start over...

First, you said, I was talking about a "Managed Mac", but I never said that anywhere, so I can only guess you assumed it from only glancing over this paragraph...

If you read the entire sentence from the beginning, you'll see I was clearly talking about Chrome browser profiles that were managed by organizations, because macOS only has separate user accounts, they don't have separate profiles.

So then I responded with a screenshot to try to show you what I meant by a chrome profile being managed by an organization. I even even placed a red rectangle around what I was talking about In the screenshot, which I put there to show you that I was not talking about a "Managed Mac".

So I can only assume you're now you're looking at the "On Startup" tab in my screenshot, which is not what the red rectangle in my last reply to you is around.

I just wanted to help someone that had the same problem, that was the point of my post. I'm not intentionally trying to be rude or divisive, and with the amount of points you have, I can only assume you enjoy helping people out too. That's all I was attempting to do here, help someone that runs into this problem.

Google Chrome Repeatedly Adds itself to Login Items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.