Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make image previews in a new window full-sized rather than icon-sized in Finder

I have always used Finder as a way to quickly view my images. I prefer using it to Preview because it uses a keyboard shortcut (the spacebar) and it allows me to scroll through images in a folder quickly with the arrow keys. I am having an issue now where when I hit the spacebar, the image that opens up is an icon, rather than an actual image. It also displays the title, size, and date. If I expand the window, the image still remains icon-sized. I'm not interested in using the preview that is displayed to the right of the icons in the same window. Rather, I would like to select an image, hit the spacebar, and open a new window that displays a full-sized image. Does anyone know how I can make this happen again? Sorry for the long rant! Thank you if anyone is able to help. I am using macOS Monterey version 12.3.1.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 3:11 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 15, 2022 12:05 PM in response to mars_mars

Hi mars_mars,

We'd love to assist you with using Finder. You can use the Preview pane in Finder by completing the steps listed here: Use the Preview pane in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support and listed below to make changes to your preview options.

1. " On your Mac, click the Finder icon  in the Dock to open a Finder window.
  2. Select the folder or file.
  3. If you don’t see the Preview pane on the right, choose View > Show Preview.
  4. Choose View > Show Preview Options, then select the checkboxes for the options you want to show for the file you selected (available options depend on the file type).
  5. If you want to perform some tasks with the file right from the pane (such as rotating an image or creating a PDF), make sure the Show Quick Actions checkbox is selected. See Perform quick actions in the Finder."

If you'd like more quick actions options for Finder, then the steps below and listed here: Perform quick actions in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support will assist you with getting it done.

1. On your Mac, click the Finder icon  in the Dock to open a Finder window.
  2. Select the file.

Alternatively, you can select a file on your desktop.

3. Control-click the file, then choose Quick Actions. Depending on the file type (options vary), you can do the following:

• Rotate an image or movie: Choose Rotate Left or press and hold the Option key, then choose Rotate Right. Repeat to continue rotating the item.
    • Mark up a document or image: Choose Markup. The file opens in a Quick Look window, where you can use the markup tools to add notes, edit text, and more. See Mark up files.
    • Trim a movie or audio file: Choose Trim, then drag the yellow handles in the trimming bar. To test your changes, click Play. You can start over by clicking Revert. When you’re ready to save your changes, click Done, then choose to replace the original file or create a new one.
    • Create a PDF: Choose Create a PDF, then enter the name. To combine multiple files into a PDF, see Combine files into a PDF.
    • Convert an image to another format or a smaller size: Choose Convert Image, then choose a format and a size. For example, you can convert an .heic photo from your iPhone to a .jpeg image.
    • Customize and add more options: Choose Customize. The Extensions System Preference pane opens, where you can add extra Finder extensions, such as Set Desktop Picture. See Change Extensions preferences.

Best regards

How to make image previews in a new window full-sized rather than icon-sized in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.