Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing in HD to iMovie 09

Hi there!

I know that iMovie 09 have the option to export into HD Movie even to YouTube and it works well. The question I have is related with the iMovie project itself. When you create a new project it doesn't have the option to make it 1080p (1980x1080) and the resolution available at most is 960x540. When you put a movie clip larger than the resolution of the project, it gets trimmed and so, the top and the bottom part aren't seen.

My question is, what happens if I export in HD resolution? Still trimmed? If so, how can I do to avoid that?

Thanks and regards.

Antonio Laguna

iMac 27 inch mid 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 12:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 1:07 AM

Hi Antonio,

When you create a new project it doesn't have the option to make it 1080p (1980x1080) and the resolution available at most is 960x540

You set the resolution when importing to an Event. If you are importing Full HD 1920 x 1080, you are given a choice of Large (960 x 540) or Full (1920 x 1080). So, if you have imported at Large, any Project you create from that Event will have the same dimensions.

Also, you need to set the correct aspect ratio for your new project - although it should follow the Event's aspect ratio automatically. In iMovie's menu go to File>Project Properties-General tab. Here you can set the aspect ratio to Widescreen (16:9), Standard (4:3) or iPhone (3:2). You may have the wrong aspect ratio, given that the top and bottom are being trimmed off. It sounds like you have a 4:3 project set as widescreen (16:9).

Also, in Project Properties select the Timing tab. For "Initial Video Placement" select "Fit in Frame" - NOT Crop. You can also check and adjust the video placement by clicking on the small gear icon at the start of the clip and selecting "Cropping and Rotation". Then click on the "Fit" button in the Viewer.

John
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2010 1:07 AM in response to Belelros

Hi Antonio,

When you create a new project it doesn't have the option to make it 1080p (1980x1080) and the resolution available at most is 960x540

You set the resolution when importing to an Event. If you are importing Full HD 1920 x 1080, you are given a choice of Large (960 x 540) or Full (1920 x 1080). So, if you have imported at Large, any Project you create from that Event will have the same dimensions.

Also, you need to set the correct aspect ratio for your new project - although it should follow the Event's aspect ratio automatically. In iMovie's menu go to File>Project Properties-General tab. Here you can set the aspect ratio to Widescreen (16:9), Standard (4:3) or iPhone (3:2). You may have the wrong aspect ratio, given that the top and bottom are being trimmed off. It sounds like you have a 4:3 project set as widescreen (16:9).

Also, in Project Properties select the Timing tab. For "Initial Video Placement" select "Fit in Frame" - NOT Crop. You can also check and adjust the video placement by clicking on the small gear icon at the start of the clip and selecting "Cropping and Rotation". Then click on the "Fit" button in the Viewer.

John

Aug 12, 2010 6:13 AM in response to naperdan

That's funny. My resolution options include up to 720p in iMovie '09.

That's correct. When sharing HD footage you have a choice of Large (960 x 540) or HD (1280 x 720). Even if you import at the Large setting, you are still able to export at the HD setting using the presets. The point I was making earlier is that, if you import into an Event as Large, you can only create a Project with the same dimensions, that is, Large 960 x 540. However, this doesn't prevent you from exporting at HD 1280 x 720. Note that Apple TV allows sizes only up to 960 x 540.

If you import as Full HD (1920 x 1080) and avoid using certain scaling effects, you can also share using "Export using QuickTime" at the Full HD size. Search for posts by Steve Mullen regarding the effects to avoid, or purchase his e-book on iMovie '09.

Hope this clarifies things for you and Antonio.

John

Aug 12, 2010 7:03 AM in response to John Cogdell

I said:
avoid using certain scaling effects

This only applies to _importing interlaced HD footage at the Full setting_. My understanding is that all clips will lose a certain degree of resolution if you make a speed change (for example, slow motion), use maps (from Maps and Backgrounds), add wipes or 3D type transitions, use PIP or Ken Burns effects, or crop or stabilize a clip.

So, if you intend using any of these features, my understanding is that it is better to simply import at the Large (960 x 540) setting. Apparently, your Full HD project will be reduced to that resolution anyway if you do use any of those features. Other users please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Please note carefully that I haven't tested this - it's purely knowledge gained from reading, mainly in this forum. For more information, as mentioned earlier, look for Steve Mullen's posts and/or his e-book on iMovie '09. I always import my 1080i clips as Large (960 x 540), use whatever effects I like, and get excellent results when using "Share to Media Browser" at either the Large or HD (1280 x 720) setting.

John

Aug 21, 2010 1:15 AM in response to John Cogdell

John Cogdell wrote:
I said:
avoid using certain scaling effects

(...)My understanding is that all clips will lose a certain degree of resolution if you make a speed change (for example, slow motion), use maps (from Maps and Backgrounds), add wipes or 3D type transitions, use PIP or Ken Burns effects, or crop or stabilize a clip.

So, if you intend using any of these features, my understanding is that it is better to simply import at the Large (960 x 540) setting. Apparently, your Full HD project will be reduced to that resolution anyway if you do use any of those features. Other users please correct me if I'm mistaken.
(...)
John

John, I'm trying to figure out if it makes that much of a difference if I import at Large or Full settings when I intend to use the Crop feature on some clips? It seems you're saying that importing at Full won't help in that case, it will end up the same as if I'd imported as Large? I had thought that importing at Full would give me more "pixels" to work with when cropping the footage and that it would therefore turn out better than importing at Large?

Anyone know for sure???

Deborah

PS I had read a TON of Steve's posts back when iMovie '09 was first released and about some "tricks" to preserving quality, etc. IIRC, it all boils down to just not using some iMovie effects (cropping?)

Aug 22, 2010 2:50 AM in response to Xena Deb

John, I'm trying to figure out if it makes that much of a difference if I import at Large or Full settings when I intend to use the Crop feature on some clips? It seems you're saying that importing at Full won't help in that case, it will end up the same as if I'd imported as Large? I had thought that importing at Full would give me more "pixels" to work with when cropping the footage and that it would therefore turn out better than importing at Large?

What you are saying makes sense Deborah. What I was referring to earlier is that if you import interlaced clips at Full then use certain effects, the _end result_ will be a file having the same resolution as one imported at the Large setting. However, if you are going to do any cropping, importing at Full would be a good move (as you say) because you are starting with a higher resolution file- just bear in mind that it will all get knocked down to Large on export, but may still give you a better result. Why not do a couple of short test projects - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 🙂

I must reiterate that I don't have first hand experience with these resolution issues - just what I've learned from reading in the forum (I also have the first edition of Steve's e-book, but don't wish to plagiarise any of its contents).

I always import my interlaced AVCHD clips (1920 x 1080) at the Large (960 x 540) setting, use any features or effects I like, then export using Share to Media Browser either as Large or HD (1280 x 720). I get excellent results, whether viewing via my WD TV Live HD Media Player, or when producing DVDs through iDVD. Bear in mind that, currently, if you are using an Apple TV the maximum export resolution is Large.

You PS comment is correct, but the issue is with more effects than just cropping (see my earlier post re these). Perhaps Steve can offer some enlightenment here, given that he was the first to bring all this to our attention (as far as I'm aware).

John

Importing in HD to iMovie 09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.