Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I restore the old backups that were overwritten by the time machine?

My time machine overwrote my old backups because my external hard drive didn't have enough space. I lost a lot of data from past backups. My question is how can I restore these old backups with the time machine?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 6:30 PM

Time Machine is not an archival system. It guarantees an absolute minimum of one and only one complete restorable system backup. Anything more than that is "nice to have" but not guaranteed.

Whatever you delete from your Mac becomes a candidate for deletion when Time Machine requires the space it occupies.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2022 6:30 PM in response to amenfeiz

Time Machine is not an archival system. It guarantees an absolute minimum of one and only one complete restorable system backup. Anything more than that is "nice to have" but not guaranteed.

Whatever you delete from your Mac becomes a candidate for deletion when Time Machine requires the space it occupies.

How can I restore the old backups that were overwritten by the time machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.